K5 Blazer 1 ton rear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fitness70

Reaction score
I swapped out a 14 bolt full floater due to some internal damage for another full floater with the same gear ratio. Haven't actually done the swap yet. It's going into my '79 K5. While setting up for the swap measuring for new perches e.t.c I took measurements from the rear rear brake plate to the center of the yolk and checked both sides. The yolk is not centered by approx. 1 and 5/8 inch. The rear came out of a '97 3/4 ton p/u. The closest I have to measure is a '87 Chevy 1/2 ton and after measuring that rear is only off center by less than 1/4 inch. I also have a '90 Chevy solid axle crew cab obviously with a 14 bolt full floater and it's roughly 1 and 1/2 inch from center measuring from the rear brake plate to the center of the yolk. So my question is the rear yolk not being true center from side to side going to matter? I also just for my own craziness measured my '90 frame to the center of my driveshaft directly at the carrier bearing mount and that measurement from side to side to the center of the driveshaft is dead center then took a second measurement using the frame to the yolk again just for my own crazy and whether I used the rear brake plate or the frame the center of the yolk is off to 1 side by almost 1 and 1/2 inch... anyone out there aware of this? Is this normal?

fitness70

Reaction score
The YOKE is not the center of the differential. Not at all unusual for the yoke to be off-center, although most (not all) axle assemblies have equal-length axle shafts inside them.
I'm concerned that even though my stock 1990 crew cab with a much much longer driveshaft where the rear yoke damn spell check is not centered, my K5 Blazers old half ton rear is really close to being center and installing a 1 ton rear with a really short driveshaft that's 1 and 5/8 from center would cause a vibration or at minimum help eat up u-joints.