2wd Front Shock Hardware/Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm currently pulling apart my front end for a rebuild and snapped one of the lower mounting bolts on my shocks. Does anyone know what kind of replacement bolts I need to get? It's a C2500 8 lug if that matters.

Also, any tips on removing the top nut? I'm about to go look for some vise grips to hold the stud, but if someones got a better idea I'm all ears.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I finally found some bolts from LMC. They didn't supply the specific measurements, but it is part number 31-0267 for future reference.

I got one shock off with the vice grip method but the other one seized up and I had to cut it off.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Funny enough, same thing happened on my truck (from Texas of all places). Drilled out the bolt and bought a bolt and nut from ACE.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even down here in rust-free SE Texas it is common for those front shock bolts to be rusted frozen, or at least rusted enough that they seize on removal - which is enough to damage the bolt/nut and possibly even break the tack welds holding the nut to the LCA.

It's super easy to squirt some PB Blaster in there ahead of time, even days ahead, several times, if you know you're going to remove them soon. I haven't had a problem since starting that habit.

--------------

Oh, and removing the top nut - many shocks have a means of holding the shaft in place during nut removal. Sometimes the very top will have 2 flats you can grab with a tight crescent wrench, sometimes a small hex shape, etc. When all else fails you could grab it up high with vise grips to get the nut loose enough that you have room to easily chop it off underneath with a zip wheel.

What I've done many times is spin them off with an impact set on full blast.

Richard

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had my lower shock bolts snap off so I drilled them out and used a bolt and nut with a lock washer.

For the upper shock but I just got in there with a die grinder and cut the nut off, works great it’s quick and simple.

You must be registered for see images attach

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used some pb blaster and got three of them out fine. It was just the fourth one that broke. I did find and order a shock tool for the future, I just didn't know it existed beforehand and my vice grips weren't holding on tight enough without marring threads.

I ended up cutting the top of my shock off and ordering all new shocks. I needed new ones anyway, I just was hoping to put it off a little longer.

Normally I would have just gone to the hardware store to find a new bolt, but the closest hardware or auto parts store is an hour away and my truck's the only vehicle I have.

Last edited: