262 VS 350: An obvious, difficult choice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everybody, first post so good to meet y'all.

I have a '95 C1500 W/T that I grew up with since I was an infant (we even have the same birthday). It's in decent shape for the year, at least for a Michigan saltmobile.

I finally got myself a replacement frame so that I can start my restoration, and it has me seriously considering my options as far as power. This truck left the factory with a V6. It got an engine replacement about 34k ago (still a V6) and the original block is sitting in my garage.

There is a part of me that wants to rebuild the original block (with some mods for a moderate power boost) and keep the numbers matching on the engine and the cab, but I also have the possibility, unless somebody beats me to it, to get a 350 from a gen3 Camaro (roller cam?) basically for free, I just have to pull it myself.

I know that the 350 has a much greater potential to give me the power I want, but the 262 gets better mileage, and is "my truck" more so than any other engine can be. I would be rebuilding/modding either way.

I'd like to hear some honest opinions, both from modders and restorers, if they can be had, to help me with this decision.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For me it would depend on what I use it for. I've decided to put a 383 in mine, but I go off road, do some light hauling and like having more power than I need for most situations. The v6 isn't bad if you never tow, but the 350 has a lot more options available for making additional power, not to mention it's base output is higher to begin with. I think the biggest consideration would be the added weight in a 2WD model may not be worth it, but it's ultimately up to you. I'd grab the 350 and keep the stock engine so you can always put it back together.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Having driven a truck similar to mine with the 4.3, I'd say go for a 5.7. Keep your original six, but you'll be happier with the 5.7.

Reaction score
I used to have a six-lug K2500 with the 350 and it felt a lot nicer. Sounded better, too... I suppose if I keep the old block then I still have all the parts, and that's points for originality, right?

I'll run it by my wife as well - she might not be keen on two 262s in the garage, lol but who knows? The 350 is free, after all.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Being a 20+ year old TBI powered pickup, throw gas mileage out of the issues to consider. Technology has come a long way since then. You'll get better gas mileage from a self-learning EFI kit with a lean-cruise setting and a 383 or 350 than you would with a TBI 4.3

And as far as building back to 'original' like the vehicles on Barrett-Jackson, well there's still so many of these trucks on the road that there really isnt any benefit to doing this for at least another 20 years until they start becoming rare unless it is a sentimental thing which I would totally understand if it is.

So that said, my vote would be to hot-rod it out to whatever you want it to be and dont look back. You'll have way more fun laying down 400 horses on back roads than getting groceries with a 4.3 grandpa truck.

Reaction score
RichLo,

There is a fair bit of sentimentality at play here. In fact, that's the only reason I am even bothering to post it here; I know that the 350 is the way to go, but I grew up with the slightly lumpy grumble of the 262, and it's hard to let go of.

I also plan to drive this truck pretty much forever or until the oil runs out - I expect that this will be the first in a periodic series of restorations (read: comprehensive maintenance sessions). It's a combination of refusal to adapt, lack of interest in modern features, and love for the truck and the platform.

I suppose I could put the 350 in it and still rebuild the 262, and keep it around to say I have it. When I got my engine replaced (lost compression in #6 and wanted fresh and clean), I paid the core charge rather than allow them to take the original block because I knew that when these trucks are 50 years old, numbers matching will matter more - though with the new frame, it may be a non-issue at this point. Who knows.

And then of course I have to try and find a buyer for the newer 262 Jasper reman that currently resides between my front tires... good luck, future me... but that issue exists no matter what I decide on. Maybe I'll just use it to power a sawmill or something.

It seems like the consensus is that a 350 is simply a wiser decision, and regardless of my feels I have to agree. As long as nobody nabs it first, I think I'll do that.

Reaction score
??? I dont think I've ever crowdfunded anything in my life. I'm a capitalist, man. You pay for your ****. I pay for mine.

I'm gonna do a search for that. Roasts are pretty fun to read.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have a six-lug K2500 with the 350 and it felt a lot nicer. Sounded better, too... I suppose if I keep the old block then I still have all the parts, and that's points for originality, right?

I'll run it by my wife as well - she might not be keen on two 262s in the garage, lol but who knows? The 350 is free, after all.

"I'll run it by my wife as well"

It's always concerning to me to hear other board members mention stuff like this. If you have to get permission to keep a free engine in your garage you may as well sell every single thing you own and save your money in a hidden coffee can because you're going to need it eventually.