2000 K3500 4x4 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All back together, runs and drives! :peace:

Though the timing is way off (24° advanced).
I followed the sticky on how to install the dist. but looks like i'm off.

From what I've read I need to rotate the gear counter clockwise and reinstall.

Edit: or do i need to do a crank relearn?

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All back together, runs and drives! :peace:

Though the timing is way off (24° advanced).
I followed the sticky on how to install the dist. but looks like i'm off.

From what I've read I need to rotate the gear counter clockwise and reinstall.

Edit: or do i need to do a crank relearn?
Crank relearn would throw a code if it was an issue, but its not a bad idea to do anyway. So the cmp retard is reading 24 degrees? Or total spark advance?

Glad its running!

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure of the difference, this is what dash command gives me at about 1k rev. I'll try redoing the dist, maybe I wasn't at TDC as much as I thought I was :doh2:

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure of the difference, this is what dash command gives me at about 1k rev. I'll try redoing the dist, maybe I wasn't at TDC as much as I thought I was :doh2:

You must be registered for see images attach

That looks like just normal spark advance. You need to find a PID for cam position retard. Car gauge pro is capable of reading it, but its kind of a pain to run compared to something like torque pro. I wouldn't pull it again until you get a way to read it.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like just normal spark advance. You need to find a PID for cam position retard. Car gauge pro is capable of reading it, but its kind of a pain to run compared to something like torque pro. I wouldn't pull it again until you get a way to read it.
Cool thanks for the tip, I'm checking out torque pro now to find cmp.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That spark advance is typical for the black box ECM.

Dash command is capable of displaying CMP retard. You can see it if you added a gauge to the dash board or the data grid. I've been looking for a way to see this though with torque. That just leaves IAC counts as the last thing that I need Dash Command for... besides the logging capability of it (which trumphs torque's online viewer).

You want to verify good crank/cam relationship at above 1700 RPM though. 1500rpm+ is when it is checked by the ECM... so that's the speed it starts to matter. It CAN be way more than just 1* off and be fine, as long as the relationship is taught to the ECM via a crank relearn. I know this because my offset was at -40* after a relearn until I moved the dizzy.

Good job with the rebuild. So you've just got a cam in there with more lift now? I'm curious how it runs. Youtube video?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That spark advance is typical for the black box ECM.

Dash command is capable of displaying CMP retard. You can see it if you added a gauge to the dash board or the data grid. I've been looking for a way to see this though with torque. That just leaves IAC counts as the last thing that I need Dash Command for... besides the logging capability of it (which trumphs torque's online viewer).

You want to verify good crank/cam relationship at above 1700 RPM though. 1500rpm+ is when it is checked by the ECM... so that's the speed it starts to matter. It CAN be way more than just 1* off and be fine, as long as the relationship is taught to the ECM via a crank relearn. I know this because my offset was at -40* after a relearn until I moved the dizzy.

Good job with the rebuild. So you've just got a cam in there with more lift now? I'm curious how it runs. Youtube video?
Should I do a crank relearn? It seems to idle ok, given it's still un-tuned.
Thanks for the info, i had no idea there was so much involved in setting the timing.

I'll see about getting a video today after work.
I'm still in shock that I finally finished the build and it's out of my garage.:D