2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Advancing the cam 8 degrees generally shifts the rpm range down about 400 rpm.

It also decreases piston to valve clearance for the intake valve and increases clearance for the exhaust valve.

By advancing the cam the cranking compression/cylinder pressure increases which could lead to detonation issues unless higher octane is used.

These are all generalities but a custom tune will make it run much better.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘411 PCM to install some day. Everything I’ve read on here says these L29s respond very well to a little more ignition timing.

Edit:
I logged my trip out with the trailer loaded up. I do believe I am in need of some timing. I didn’t use the dashboard setup with knock retard, so I’ll check that out in the way home.

66% throttle, 2600rpm, 97kpa... 7*
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘411 PCM to install some day. Everything I’ve read on here says these L29s respond very well to a little more ignition timing.

Edit:
I logged my trip out with the trailer loaded up. I do believe I am in need of some timing. I didn’t you the dashboard setup with knock retard, so I’ll check that out in the way home.

66% throttle, 2600rpm, 97kpa... 7*
You must be registered for see images attach

If you advance the cam, you should be able to eat into that some without a tune so when it is tune time you won't need to add as much if that makes sense.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re saying cylinder pressure would be up so less timing is required?

My buddies Ram blew a brake line, so I went back into town to pull his toy hauler out. Logged again with that hitched up. I was getting 7* on the hills with no knock counts, so I guess that’s all the black box will feed it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

My buddies Ram blew a brake line, so I went back into town to pull his toy hauler out. Logged again with that hitched up. I was getting 7* on the hills with no knock counts, so I guess that’s all the black box will feed it.

That's absurd. Mine commands more with the blower!

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That's absurdly low.. I run like 12-14 at my lowest point in boost.