2000 454 vortec constant problems what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Passlock kicking in is a very distinct and consistent behavior - it will allow the engine to start for literally just a moment, then shuts off fuel to it, so it stalls. The security light on the dash will be flashing. Remember, it WILL let the engine start, just immediately kills it after it starts. If this isn't what it's doing (and it didn't sound like it) then you can cross Passlock troubles off your list.

Richard

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Passlock kicking in is a very distinct and consistent behavior - it will allow the engine to start for literally just a moment, then shuts off fuel to it, so it stalls. The security light on the dash will be flashing. Remember, it WILL let the engine start, just immediately kills it after it starts. If this isn't what it's doing (and it didn't sound like it) then you can cross Passlock troubles off your list.

Richard

That is what it was doing when it ran. Every day no matter what i always had to start it twice. Then some days the key would kick the fuel pump on and not the starter so i would crawl underneath jump the starter it would run and shut of so i would go try the key and if the key worked it would fire up and stay running sometimes in would start and shut off 3-4 times before it stayed running.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But now it just cranks and dont start and the alternator is good i also put a new battery in it today.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so i am getting weak spark at the coil and no spark at the plug but it does flicker a test light at the plug just not enough to see a spark im assuming. Could this be my icm?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so i am getting weak spark at the coil and no spark at the plug but it does flicker a test light at the plug just not enough to see a spark im assuming. Could this be my icm?

Could be the ICM. Take it out and have advance/autozone/etc test it for you.

Definitely put a FPR in there or else that'll be the next thing to screw you over.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the ICM. Take it out and have advance/autozone/etc test it for you.

Definitely put a FPR in there or else that'll be the next thing to screw you over.

After its running again I plan on doing injectors, fpr, plugs, wires, and probably a fuel pump I've ran it to long without and like now I have no clue where to start when it doesn't run at all.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I've had a 97 with the 7400 for about a year and a half, I had random stalls while driving and once while pulling my 6k# boat. check the main positive and ground leads from the battery, once i improved those the flickering and the weird electrical gremlins stopped. It could be a number of things, since your fuel pressure goes to 40, the quick drop to 0 probably indicates a leaky injector or bad FPR, I had a very long crank issue but the first start of the day was always quick since letting the truck sit overnight would allow the dumped fuel to vapor off. Still this is a far cry from not starting at all. I usually start with the electrical stuff first since it ultimately controls everything and after all it is a GM.

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I had the icm tested and it was bad so I got a new one, changed it still no start but the only code I am getting now is
ignition control circuit high voltage?

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last update I put a new coil on and found a bent pin in the new icm so I straightened the pin and it fired right up and runs just as before (not great but not bad) so thanks to all for the info!