1badgmc's Suburban Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found some info:

1997 brought a passenger-side front airbag (on trucks with GVWR under 8,600 pounds) that could be shut off to allow a rear-facing child seat to be installed. For those who liked the convenience of the third-door option but didn't need the spiffed-up Silverado, this option became more widely available. To make parking easier, engineers added electronic variable-assist power steering that provided more assist at lower speeds and less assist at higher speeds for better road feel. Other steering enhancements included a smaller turning radius for K1500 models, making these four-wheel-drive trucks easier to park and better able to handle tight spots when off road. The 4L60-E and 4L80-E four-speed automatic gearboxes were tweaked for even smoother operation and better efficiency via improved fluid flow and greater lubrication. The heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission also saw upgrades, in this case designed to lower noise and improve shift feel. Helping out the environment ever so slightly was the availability of a natural gas version of the Vortec 5700 V8, though it could be had only on a C2500 standard cab long-bed truck.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
hrmmm... kinda off topic, but on topic of what the topic got changed to...... when i am on an on ramp or off ramp, my truck seems to lurch in the way i am turning.. like slack suddenly finds its way into the steering.. i have topped off the power steering fluid. so could this sensor be the culpret? where is it located in teh vehicle? lol

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hrmmm... kinda off topic, but on topic of what the topic got changed to...... when i am on an on ramp or off ramp, my truck seems to lurch in the way i am turning.. like slack suddenly finds its way into the steering.. i have topped off the power steering fluid. so could this sensor be the culpret? where is it located in teh vehicle? lol

definitely sounds like it thats one of the main symptoms. Its under the steering wheel/column. Kinda of pain in the ass to replace but its cheap.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
whats the "medical" term for it? i might just try that.. its scary when you are doing 50-55 around an off ramp and the truck feels like its about to roll over

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found some info:

1997 brought a passenger-side front airbag (on trucks with GVWR under 8,600 pounds) that could be shut off to allow a rear-facing child seat to be installed. For those who liked the convenience of the third-door option but didn't need the spiffed-up Silverado, this option became more widely available. To make parking easier, engineers added electronic variable-assist power steering that provided more assist at lower speeds and less assist at higher speeds for better road feel. Other steering enhancements included a smaller turning radius for K1500 models, making these four-wheel-drive trucks easier to park and better able to handle tight spots when off road. The 4L60-E and 4L80-E four-speed automatic gearboxes were tweaked for even smoother operation and better efficiency via improved fluid flow and greater lubrication. The heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission also saw upgrades, in this case designed to lower noise and improve shift feel. Helping out the environment ever so slightly was the availability of a natural gas version of the Vortec 5700 V8, though it could be had only on a C2500 standard cab long-bed truck.

But the smaller turning radius is only for 4wd models.

I pulled these turning circle numbers from Edmunds.com. All are for 2wd models.

Year Suburban ECSB
1992 n/a n/a
1993 45.8 52.9
1994 45.8 n/a
1995 48.5 47.1
1996 48.1 46.6
1997 43.7 n/a
1998 43.7 n/a
1999 43.7

Who knows where they get the numbers for each year and if the tests are identical from year-to-year, but it does seem as if the Suburbans ended up with a tighter turning radius in the Magnasteer years.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happened to the 95-96's :lol:

Yeah who knows the engineering behind it but it just seems the ones with the evo turn better. Have you driven a 97-98 RCSB 2wd to compare to your 91?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats the "medical" term for it? i might just try that.. its scary when you are doing 50-55 around an off ramp and the truck feels like its about to roll over

It's definitely the sensor. It's called an EVO sensor. Rock Auto calls it a Steering Wheel Motion Sensor. It's located under the Body/Interior section for $27.79. It is a bit of a pain to replace, but when I did the one on my Yukon with no experience, it maybe took me 30-45 minutes, so it's not too bad. You'll just lose a little skin and blood is all.

You must be registered for see images

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
It's definitely the sensor. It's called an EVO sensor. Rock Auto calls it a Steering Wheel Motion Sensor. It's located under the Body/Interior section for $27.79. It is a bit of a pain to replace, but when I did the one on my Yukon with no experience, it maybe took me 30-45 minutes, so it's not too bad. You'll just lose a little skin and blood is all.

You must be registered for see images

thank ya