1badgmc's Suburban Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice Burb !!!!!!

I had a chance to buy a 97 a few weeks ago but the wifey tossed that idea out the window until we close on our house deal.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
i love the burbans, but in all honesty, it was a major change in driving habit going from my rcsb s10 to an ecsb k1500... i dont think i would be willing to drive it daily lol. scrape up that cash quick and get that ass end where it needs to be!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
at least you got the 98 which has better turning radius. my 96 dont turn worth a ****. cant even do a u-turn. :lol:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
at least you got the 98 which has better turning radius. my 96 dont turn worth a ****. cant even do a u-turn. :lol:

Did they change something? I was wondering because Suburbans have a 1" longer wheelbase than extended cab shortbed pickups, but my Suburban sure does feel like it turns sharper than my '94 extended cab.

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, 97-98's have evo sensors (speed sensitive steering). So they turn much better.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, 97-98's have evo sensors (speed sensitive steering). So they turn much better.

That' would actually be '97-'99 when we're talking SUVs. I know about the Magnasteer. I replaced the EVO sensor on my '99 Yukon and the Suburban needs a new one too, but without different hardware in the steering/suspension, that doesn't explain a tighter turning radius.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somehow it does, its like assisted steering in low speed situations.

Idk when I drive a 97+ steering is noticeably better.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. I know what Magnasteer does. Low effort steering at low speeds and higher effort at higher speeds.

The last 5 vehicles I've bought (all GM) have had some form of Magnasteer.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So shouldnt it turn better?? Im no expert at this just basing on experiences.

I do like pre 97 steering feel better...but the turning radius is awful.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So shouldnt it turn better?? Im no expert at this just basing on experiences.

Changing the amount of steering effort required has nothing to do with how far the wheels will turn. When parked or tooling around in a parking lot, you'll be able to steer full-lock more quickly with Magnasteer than without, but Magnasteer doesn't explain being able to turn sharper.

I do like pre 97 steering feel better...but the turning radius is awful.

At speed I like the earlier feel better (granted, it's been a couple years since I had my Yukon with a good EVO sensor and I'm basing my comparison on my '91 and '94 vs. my Suburban with a bad EVO sensor), but for the most part, I like the variable effort.