1999 C3500 CC DRW Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good points I would have considered, had I thought about the actual bearing installation process before making a recommendation :crazy:

I’ve only done rotor mounted wheel bearings about 350 times in my life :facepalm:
Trust me your not the first one to recommend some heat. I think because the measurements are metric people don't realize how much bigger it is an why it such a problem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was just kidding...

You must be registered for see images attach

All the tie rods an ball joints are roached. It drove really well so I wasn't prepared for that...
All 4 shocks were busted an were still OE too.
That's what I found when I took my '93 C3500 to the alignment shop. I knew the ball joints were gonna be short-lived as the boots had disintegrated but they still felt fairly good so I spent a few bucks on replacement boots, the alignment guy showed me that the control arm bushings were toast and the tie rods were bad, as well as pretty much everything else. He spent a little time getting the alignment closer so it could be driven, and then I bought all new front end parts.. which are still sitting on my work table.

Hate hearing about your drop spindle/wheel bearing issue; what brand are the spindles and bearings?

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate hearing about your drop spindle/wheel bearing issue; what brand are the spindles and bearings?

Richard
bearings have no markings so I'm unsure on the brand. They are in good shape though so I just cleaned an repacked them.

The spindles also have no manufacturer markings but were sold as bell foundry an had the same part number in the listing that chassis-tech uses.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
bearings have no markings so I'm unsure on the brand. They are in good shape though so I just cleaned an repacked them.

The spindles also have no manufacturer markings but were sold as bell foundry an had the same part number in the listing that chassis-tech uses.
I'd say if bearings fit fine on your OEM spindles but not on the drop spindles, those spindles are questionable. Of course you could just pop over to the local auto parts and pick up some quality new bearings since they're pretty cheap, just to see if they'll fit. There's some real junk out there in the bearing department so I'd try some good ones before giving up on those spindles, since that's a much larger investment to replace.

Richard

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was worried about it too but it's in line on the ground, so it should be fine. I have the lower bracket an bag mounted all the way to the rear so there's not much else I can do about it. They look normal under load. I'll take another picture to ease everyones mind though....
I trust ya, my friend. I have no doubt that everything is installed correctly :)

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the spindles need machined (duh) but the seller has no way to do it anymore. He's offered a refund but isn't sure how to process it because it's been so long since I ordered. I'm surprised I got a response, but not hopeful on getting money back, we will see I guess. I like to prepare for the worst an be surprised when I'm wrong.

I ordered belltech spindles on 11/22 but still don't have any shipping information. The site said they were in stock but a call today reveals they are shipping direct from belltech an they have a backlog of black Friday orders. :doh2:

So I didn't want to post these just yet but what the hell. It's killing me having to wait now. I was trying to get the truck dropped an ready for these an I would have made it with time to spare before this spindle issue hit. I suppose I shouldn't have saved the roughly $80 an got them somewhere else but not knowing if I was getting anything back on the first set makes them extremely expensive since I had to buy them twice.

Add me to the "spent more on wheels than the vehicle is worth" club now.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have no new spindles or even an eta on shipping, even though I've been bugging them 2x a day. No resolution from the eBay seller on a refund, but he did at least tell me the spindle shafts are not hardened an should press out as nothing special besides a large press is used to install them.

I have a machine shop willing to attempt to repair the ones I have. Going there tomorrow an hopefully this will get back on track. If not I'll be ordering spindles from somewhere else at least an hopefully its back on the road next weekend at the least. This has been a frustrating wait for sure....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No luck on the ones I have. A 20 ton press wouldn't budge it, plus in the back of my mind I would have been worried about a failure in the future. I don't think it would have came back out but who knows. There's always the possibility of a tiny crack you dont see etc. I also think I would have been at or near half the cost of another set to have those fixed.

No solid update on the order I have outstanding either. So I found another set, called an made sure they were for sure actually in stock and ordered those. Whichever one comes first I'll cancel the other I guess. What a disaster....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No luck on the ones I have. A 20 ton press wouldn't budge it, plus in the back of my mind I would have been worried about a failure in the future. I don't think it would have came back out but who knows. There's always the possibility of a tiny crack you dont see etc. I also think I would have been at or near half the cost of another set to have those fixed.

No solid update on the order I have outstanding either. So I found another set, called an made sure they were for sure actually in stock and ordered those. Whichever one comes first I'll cancel the other I guess. What a disaster....
This is the kinda stuff that gets a guy burnt out. Sorry to hear it, Paul.