1998 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Beautiful truck! For like 10$ you could get a little cubby to replace the stock CD player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I know about the replacement storage cubby, and I was going to order one, but decided I'll leave it there because if I were to get a CB radio, I'd mount it in there instead

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
So for Christmas, my dad got me a Viper autostart system which should be awesome with this terrible cold weather here

You must be registered for see images attach

It's going in on the 6th of this month, a friend of ours is going to install it. Which is good because I hate messing with electric things...

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are very simple on our trucks, I did mine and added the smart start phone module, starting the truck with your phone is a nice feature.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes you should...

That double din is sweet. Any details? Where did you get the faceplate?

I bought a "detailSS" double DIN kit and did the install myself. Take your time and it comes out factory looking.

The stereo I am using is a pioneer app radio 2. I will be replacing this with a pioneer NEX radio because I want satellite radio also.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
They are very simple on our trucks, I did mine and added the smart start phone module, starting the truck with your phone is a nice feature.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a yearly subscription fee for the phone feature? I thought there was, with Viper at least, and that is why I'm not getting that feature.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is, but it extends your range and also turns your 1 way into
A two way communication. It's nice to know that the vehicle has gotten your command

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
There is, but it extends your range and also turns your 1 way into
A two way communication. It's nice to know that the vehicle has gotten your command

Those would be nice features but I'll be the first to admit I can be cheap sometimes, and this is definitely one of those times haha. I'm living on a fairly tight budget considering I'm going to college next year, so I like to try to keep my expenses down

I'm assuming if I ever wanted it, all I'd need to do is just subscribe if I wanted it a few years down the road right?

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well sorta. You need to install the smart start module, it's another unit that communicates with the viper start unit. It's probably another $70 but now is the time to do the install, while you are there. The subscription would be the only thing you'd need after. It isn't impossible to install the module later on either, just not as convenient

C.E.Divine

Reaction score
I'll trade you! I miss my '98. I'm a stock-ish fan, so I wouldn't touch much on it! That is SWEET.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Well sorta. You need to install the smart start module, it's another unit that communicates with the viper start unit. It's probably another $70 but now is the time to do the install, while you are there. The subscription would be the only thing you'd need after. It isn't impossible to install the module later on either, just not as convenient

Sadly I think my finances are going to keep me from being able to install the smart start module at all for now then. It's very difficult for me to have a job during the school year as well do to the courses I take, so it forces me to save all my money I made over summer for gas and repairs and such

I'll trade you! I miss my '98. I'm a stock-ish fan, so I wouldn't touch much on it! That is SWEET.

Thanks man, I intend to keep it mostly stock (besides exhaust and such of course) - if anything bring it even closer to stock by taking off the side steps. If I had the money, I'd put a 6 inch lift on, but I certainly don't plan on actually having those finances for a long time.