1998 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Well, I don't often do too much to my truck but I figured I should at least start a thread in order to document what I have done to it, as well as ask any questions that I may need to ask.

So a little background on the truck: A police officer ordered the truck brand new back in 1998 and he ordered pretty much every single option that the truck came with. I still have the options sheet too
From then, my dad bought it from the cop and put very few miles on it. Almost two years ago now, I bought the truck from my dad for $5,600. He gave me a bit of a deal IMO, but he certainly didn't give me the truck free. I like to take pride on buying my own things and earning what I've got.

The truck had about 72,000 miles on it when I bought it and it's a little over 75,500 now.

Here's the options sheet for the truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

Just some pictures of the truck

So, some things the truck has:

14 bolt locking rear axle

z71 package

Towing package

Heavy duty chassis package

Trans cooler

Rated at 6,600lb GVW

Now to get to the things done to the truck

The first thing I did when I got this truck was put a dual exhaust on it. I put a flowmaster cat-back kit on it. It goes into a Y-pipe right after the cats into the muffler and then dual out from the muffler. It has a flowmaster 70 series muffler on it, which sounds good but I personally wish it was a little louder. It has no drone of any sort.

Here's what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLew4pnTvMw

And just a picture

Next thing done was put in a Pioneer radio. The thing's pretty nice and I love the bluetooth. I can play all my music and answers calls from my phone

Put this trailer hitch cover on because it looks better this way IMO

I didn't do this, but the first owner put in Muth turn signal mirrors, so since it's free for me I'm not complaining.

Just two winter pictures:

Also, I don't have a picture of it right now but the first owner put in a $1,200 Roll 'N Lock bed cover which is absolutely awesome to have, but I would never pay what he paid for it hahah

Things I'm considering doing:

Putting in HIDs

A lift if only I could afford it

Taking the side steps off - just not sure how the paint and all looks under them...

Thinking about doing a CB radio but I don't have a good spot to mount the antennas

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc are always appreciated

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Love love love love love this truck! So clean! so stock! CB is a grat thing to have. it's pretty good entertainment haha. The antennas, honestly a 102" whip with a 6" spring looks good on almost everything imo. 2 black fiberglass antennas on the bed would look good with your black truck. You can get a fiberglass one for the hood so it would be opposite your radio antenna. Or a mag mount (what I have). not my favorite but it works.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Love love love love love this truck! So clean! so stock! CB is a grat thing to have. it's pretty good entertainment haha. The antennas, honestly a 102" whip with a 6" spring looks good on almost everything imo. 2 black fiberglass antennas on the bed would look good with your black truck. You can get a fiberglass one for the hood so it would be opposite your radio antenna. Or a mag mount (what I have). not my favorite but it works.

Thanks man, what I really wanted to do with the CB's is get those clamp mounts and mount them to the side of the each bed rail, but with my Roll N lock bed cover, I can't do that. Which has got me stuck on how exactly to do it.

What I know for sure is that I want to put the antennas on the bed, so I'm not really sure how to work it without doing much drilling (I hate drilling with my truck, I'm scared it will lead to some rust in the future)

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
well the mounts are probably going to have to be drilled. Does the tonneau cover the stake pockets?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
well the mounts are probably going to have to be drilled. Does the tonneau cover the stake pockets?

Yeah, it does unfortunately. I'll try to get a picture or two shortly so you can see exactly what I'm working with.

My thoughts were to use one of those screw in clamps so that I didn't have to drill anything but my bed cover ruined that.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
you might be able to use a mirror mount and bolt it where the antenna would sit between the cab and the bed. bed cover shouldn't affect it.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
oh but it has that canister that the cover rolls up into... that might make it difficult

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
you might be able to use a mirror mount and bolt it where the antenna would sit between the cab and the bed. bed cover shouldn't affect it.

oh but it has that canister that the cover rolls up into... that might make it difficult

Exactly, that's what is making this tough. I'll go get pictures right now to show you exactly what I'm working with

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
This is what I'm trying to work with

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Beautiful truck love it! Get those steps off