1998 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Alright so exhaust troubles. I want a louder exhaust, it's been bugging me. The issue though is that I have a nice new flowmaster cat back system. It's got a 70 series muffler and my only issue is I wish it were louder.

I've been debating going to shop and seeing if they could get another louder flowmaster muffler to fit, there may be some issues with dimensions, but I want to keep the system all stainless. Would this be worth it?

I was also thinking about putting in an electric cut off... Anyone with experience with them have any input?

Suggestions I didn't mention??

Ya I don't think you could run any type of cover with a rack. Unless you custom built one to work with it.

After looking at it, it would be a major PITA to make em both fit. And I'd feel bad getting rid of this roll n lock cover cause (even though the PO paid for it) it's so expensive

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so exhaust troubles. I want a louder exhaust, it's been bugging me. The issue though is that I have a nice new flowmaster cat back system. It's got a 70 series muffler and my only issue is I wish it were louder.

I've been debating going to shop and seeing if they could get another louder flowmaster muffler to fit, there may be some issues with dimensions, but I want to keep the system all stainless. Would this be worth it?

Couple things you could do, I took mine to a muffler shop and had them put a magnaflow ss 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlets, super happy with the magnaflow, I used to have a flowmaster kit that came with a 50 series with the same specs as my magnaflow that replaced it and was no drama got done in a morning, if you wanted to stay with flow master, you could just get a super 44 but just note if your existing muffler is offset or centre of your going to supply the muffler, the only thing they will have to do is add like 12" of pipe onto your tail pipes to make the connection and done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Couple things you could do, I took mine to a muffler shop and had them put a magnaflow ss 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlets, super happy with the magnaflow, I used to have a flowmaster kit that came with a 50 series with the same specs as my magnaflow that replaced it and was no drama got done in a morning, if you wanted to stay with flow master, you could just get a super 44 but just note if your existing muffler is offset or centre of your going to supply the muffler, the only thing they will have to do is add like 12" of pipe onto your tail pipes to make the connection and done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magnaflow idea is pretty interesting. I briefly considered it, but figured magnaflow didn't have a muffler with the same dimensions (I suppose I was wrong)
So compared to your 50 series, how much louder was the magnaflow? Deeper, higher pitched? Drone?

If I were to put a 44 series on, I think things could get complicated because the inlets and outlets for the 44 series are different than the in and out pipes that I have currently. How easily can a shop get around this without changing it all...?

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Gonna bump this in hopes of some input.

If I remember correctly, you can get something to take care of the inlet and outlet issue. But if not, you should be able to buy the muffler with the correct sizes. I looked at super 10s and super 44s for my truck and they had the correct sizes

Sent while pulling out a Ford

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you can get something to take care of the inlet and outlet issue. But if not, you should be able to buy the muffler with the correct sizes. I looked at super 10s and super 44s for my truck and they had the correct sizes

They don't have the correct sizes in a single in dual out muffler if I recall correctly, and I'd need to add more piping because the 44s and especially the 10 series are all shorter than my 70 series muffler.

Which is what makes this very interesting for me... I have no idea as to whether it's wise to take this to an exhaust shop or what.. or if cutouts are an easy way to go, if they leak or not etc...

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
They don't have the correct sizes in a single in dual out muffler if I recall correctly, and I'd need to add more piping because the 44s and especially the 10 series are all shorter than my 70 series muffler.

Which is what makes this very interesting for me... I have no idea as to whether it's wise to take this to an exhaust shop or what.. or if cutouts are an easy way to go, if they leak or not etc...

I'd take it to a shop so that way it can be professionally done and not leak. If you trust the cutouts, go for it

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Changing topics from exhaust, does anyone have any suggestions for the truck?? Anything at all, big or small. I've finally got a little money in my pocket

I'd take it to a shop so that way it can be professionally done and not leak. If you trust the cutouts, go for it

I may take it for a quote, cutouts worry me because I'm scared they'll leak

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Changing topics from exhaust, does anyone have any suggestions for the truck?? Anything at all, big or small. I've finally got a little money in my pocket

I may take it for a quote, cutouts worry me because I'm scared they'll leak

Yeah, exhaust shop would be the best bet then. Do you have tows on this bad boy yet?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Yeah, exhaust shop would be the best bet then. Do you have tows on this bad boy yet?

Not yet. I was waiting till if I lifted the truck for tow mirrors, but I don't have the money to lift it properly right now