1998 c2500 brakes locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1998 c2500 8 lug truck. One night coming home from work a deer ran out in front of me and I locked up my breaks. They have never been the same since then. At certain speeds braking my steering wheel will jerk left and right and the truck will kinda hop. And recently after it's been sitting for a few hours I will jump in it to come home and I will literally barely touch the breaks and my front breaks will violently lock up and the truck will hault to a stop. Please note that this is at low speeds coming out of a parking lot. After I get out on the road and use them they get better. I'm wondering if I have a warped rotor or sticking caliper what do you guys thing? Thanks!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might have multiple issues. The jerking sounds like a warped rotor or drum. My S10 has some ABS gremlins and the first time I drive it after it rains, the ABS acts all crazy for a few minutes, kinda like what you just explained, I was told that is a speed sensor issue.

Vortec 350

Reaction score
Update: I replaced my wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads and calipers on the front wheels. At first I thought that solved the problem however when it rains they still act goofy and lock up at low speeds. I'm thinking along the lines of ABS? Or maybe the drums in the rear. If it's the abs is there a way to disconnect it so I can test the breaks without the abs functioning? What do you guys think?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Update: I replaced my wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads and calipers on the front wheels. At first I thought that solved the problem however when it rains they still act goofy and lock up at low speeds. I'm thinking along the lines of ABS? Or maybe the drums in the rear. If it's the abs is there a way to disconnect it so I can test the breaks without the abs functioning? What do you guys think?

Locks up at low speeds for the first few stops, or all the time? If it's just the first few stops your brakes are just damp/wet. I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it's severe.

My experience when pulling the ABS fuse is that the rear brakes lock up a lot. The ABS system handles the brake proportioning.