1998 black box programming options ? Help .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moremudd

Reaction score
I want to switch to a hot cam but I'm stuck with the 1998 black box , My truck is a 1998 K1500 . 5.7 , NV-3500 manual, 3:73 gears . spider update to the newer style with better injectors but still stock .
I have to pass the visual plus the obd2 test . I have looked into the 0411 swap but without the documents that lextech has created I am uncertain of the wire location changes .
The after market options like mega squirt and moats products don't look promising for getting past the visual or obd2 , What have you guys had luck with ? I hate go though Black Bear and be stuck with a tune that I could never adjust or modify if my engine mods suck and I have to make changes , I can't find a work around for the rear oxygen sensors and gut the cats , I fear a lumpy cam with kill the cats and If I can't have a lumpy cam I'm not going to go through the hassle . I'm an old fart thats stuck in the 80's when crane's fireball cam was the rage . Thanks for your input .

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I was having similar issues for a 411PCM swap. The guy with all the diagrams seems to have disappeared from every forum I've checked. That being said, Blackbear doesn't seem to be too bad of an option. You will end up paying a bit of shipping but they have unlimited tune updates. What I did is ordered a tune and I'm going to keep the core, so I can send it back whenever I want something updated.

I'm not sure if they will for you, but I'm in Canada, so they are disabling the rear oxygen sensors for me. The only thing I think that is problematic is the fact that changes can't be made on the fly, like you said, and as far as I know the black boxes arent very good for data logging.

MJ Engineering (Mike's company) I think can do EFILive datalogging and tuning on a 98 (or at least it's advertised on his website he can). He's a fair bit more expensive than the Blackbear however. That plus the fact I've only got a 97 is why I went Blackbear. Blackbear did recommend doing a 411PCM swap whenever I get a cam and long tube headers.

moremudd

Reaction score
Nathaniel2g : I should check but does Blackbear offer the information to wire the 0411 pcm properly ? I don't mind paying for the documents , its just that I can not locate them being available anywhere . I would love to know where Lextech got off too , maybe I could bribe him LOL .

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Nathaniel2g : I should check but does Blackbear offer the information to wire the 0411 pcm properly ? I don't mind paying for the documents , its just that I can not locate them being available anywhere . I would love to know where Lextech got off too , maybe I could bribe him LOL .

Possibly, I forget who at Blackbear it was that is on this forum half regularly. This is the article that I was going to use, but Lextech is the one on this article as well. http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

Edit: I used to have access to the GM diagnostics bulletin but they no longer keep wiring diagrams and what not for this model truck anymore either.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
if you have a laptop and dont mind buying a hp tuners unit, blackbear can get you setup with a blackbox thatll be close then you can send them datalogs and theyll send you updated tunes based on the datalog.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you have a laptop and dont mind buying a hp tuners unit, blackbear can get you setup with a blackbox thatll be close then you can send them datalogs and theyll send you updated tunes based on the datalog.

Not for the black box, you'd have to 0411 swap for that. And they use EFILive, HPTuners doesn't support the black box. I asked them about going this route when I had my red truck tuned.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want to keep the black box and don't mind having someone else do the tuning via mail, I'll second Black Bear as a good option. If you want to keep the black box but want to be able to tune it yourself on the fly, the only tuning software I'm aware that's fully compatible with the black boxes would be Jet's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner.

http://jetchip.com/shop/chips-modul...formance-dynamic-spectrum-tuner-programmer-2/

If you want to do a 0411 swap, there's other ways to obtain the info than just waiting for Lextech. Performancetrucks.net has several knowledgeable members (Dr.X, among others) who can probably get you the pinout information for free. They've solved similar issues for me in the past. Also I believe PCMPowerTunes has access to the same info that Lextech did, their website used to mention him by name. They'll charge you for it I'm sure, though.

http://www.pcmpowertunes.com/

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Ah i figured they could use either hp tuners or efi live. Ive never used them actually used them.

moremudd

Reaction score
df2x4 : Thank you , I had no idea where else to look for people with the 0411 swap experience . I would prefer the pcm swap for the data logging options . I have used data logging to tune my motorcycle and I have been very pleased with the results .