1998 black box programming options ? Help .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the earlier models with 5 connectors the 5th connector was a 4 pin but all it did was connect the 2 boards inside the "black box". There were a couple wires that came out, ran down in the harness a little bit then did a 180 and went back to the same connector albeit different pins. If you swap to a 0411 pcm, when you unwrap the harness for the re-pin that's what you will find. The 98-00 model boxes had an internal connector.
On a side note, no one has been able to reach Lextech? That's discouraging to hear. Hope nothing has happened to him.

Thanks for the useful info. I still wonder if it was a different operating system though, there has to be a reason HPT decided not to support it.

eldplanko

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do a 411 swap on my vortec, maybe this weekend. I made my own conversion chart based on wiring diagrams from my factory service manual. I’ll share it here if it works out, but the devil is in the details, and I have things mapped that may not apply to you (8600 gvwr, 4l80e, ac, cruise, dash mounted 4wd switch). I’m planning to do th stock programming myself I EFILive,, the probably buy a data logged tune from someon.

moremudd

Reaction score
eldplanko : Did you buy EFI Live new ? were you able to find it for a reasonable price ? I have seen it from 600.00 to 800.00 dollars , I'm not sure why such big price differences , looks like a 2 vehicle license is maybe standard ? I'm having troubles trying to soak it all in . You have bigger balls than me , every time I start to try and dissect the wiring harness I get cold feet , I'm worried I will screw it up and the truck will never run again . Maybe I will have to buy a camaro and hang out with them to fins a decent tech to point me in the right direction .