1996 k3500 lift feedback wanted!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kent

Reaction score
I have a 1996 k3500 4x4 dually I got the truck and it is in great shape for a 20 year old rig!
I did away with the tiny tires it had and put on a set of 255/85r16 cooper st maxx tires they look great, are quiet (so far 3500miles), and ride really good.
Now here is the issue I really want to lift this truck 3" (next to my dad's 07 f350 2wd you would never know which one is 4x4 and it kills me).
I would love to do just a torsion bar lift with blocks and drop the diff with spacers but I do not want to loose too much a arm travel or put my ball joints in too bad of an angle.
I have looked at the rough country 4" kit but would like to get some feedback from someone running this kit.
I pull a lot with this truck and want to keep the ride quality and drive as close to stock as possible.
NO BODY LIFTS just not a fan
Any help, suggestions, experiences, and or reviews are welcome.
Thanks!

kent

Reaction score
pictures of the truck when I bought it and after the tires and smoked light swap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Parahdox

Reaction score
The only way youre going to be able to keep stock angles and not run through ball joints is by body lifting it. There is no difference by the way between the 4in and 6in lift from RCX, only thing the 6in has is add-a-leafs in the rear. Also are you sure the RCX lift is going to fit? I dont think it fits 8 lugs?

kent

Reaction score
My mistake it is a tuff country 4" suspension lift part #14824 not rough country.
As with almost any suspension modification I know I will not be able to keep factory specs but would like to stay as close as possible to reduce wear on suspension components while still achieving my goal of 3" to 4" lift.

Last edited:

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has a 6" RCD lift. It actually only drops the diff and suspension 4.5" and if you want 6" you crank your torsion bars for the other 1.5". I watched Craigslist and a guy was doing a SAS and I bought his RCD for $500. I only went the 4.5" and the truck rides better lifted than it did stock. It still tows our toy hauler really good. I'm not a fan of body lifts either and wasn't really wanting to spend $2000 on a lift. So being patient worked out for me and the truck rides and drives better than stock.

kent

Reaction score
My truck has a 6" RCD lift. It actually only drops the diff and suspension 4.5" and if you want 6" you crank your torsion bars for the other 1.5". I watched Craigslist and a guy was doing a SAS and I bought his RCD for $500. I only went the 4.5" and the truck rides better lifted than it did stock. It still tows our toy hauler really good. I'm not a fan of body lifts either and wasn't really wanting to spend $2000 on a lift. So being patient worked out for me and the truck rides and drives better than stock.

Thanks for the info!

kent

Reaction score
I would love to lift my flatbed, nice to hear some reviews. I have my bars turned up just enough for my ST MAXX 255/85 clearance + a GMT-800 1.75" block in the rear to maintain rake.

Ill have to check into some of those lift blocks and might crank the front a little more. Is that what the "BLACK FOX" has done to it? SHARP FLAT BED BY THE WAY!

kent

Reaction score
Yes, other than his Weld wheels our suspension, tire, spacer combo is the same. Thank you, I love the utility of the flatbed.

I forgot to ask did you to have to run longer shocks with the lift blocks or longer on the front? What are you thoughts on torsion keys?