1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
oof, that white truck he tried to take up the extra 4" in wheelbase by positioning the bed too far forward, instead of moving the axle itself forward 4" :( so the wheel isn't centered in the opening and the bed to cab gap still sucks.

It's a lot of work to make a pickup bed install look right, but it's worth it. Mostly just a whole bunch of rivet drillin' and new hole drillin' to move the spring mounts etc. forward.

Richard

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Going with a Cummins in the long run will save you a lot of headaches and should be guaranteed to be much more reliable than the 6.5 ever will.

What's up with the grey mega cab GM dually there? Good Photoshop

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I had wondered if cutting down a suburban body would yield something like that. Now that I see a good crop and paint, I kinda like it

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plus it's sounding like some good things are just falling into ur lap, who else gets a job where u get to part out an work on trucks an get an awesome deal on a motor your wanting. Sounds pretty good to me, an the aftermarket support for a 12v is crazy, there's so many companies that make pretty much any setup you could want

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Pulled some more stuff I need for this truck off the original doors that were on my 89 k2500.

Picking up the 10 lug 19.5 rims tomorrow as well, might be able to finalize the Cummins deal and get some more pieces of the truck back together!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
oof, that white truck he tried to take up the extra 4" in wheelbase by positioning the bed too far forward, instead of moving the axle itself forward 4" :( so the wheel isn't centered in the opening and the bed to cab gap still sucks.

It's a lot of work to make a pickup bed install look right, but it's worth it. Mostly just a whole bunch of rivet drillin' and new hole drillin' to move the spring mounts etc. forward.

Richard

He said that he was going to do it right and move the axle up when he has time. But I dig the idea! I also asked about how far the fenders stick out compared to the rims and he said it's noticeable but not enough to bother him. I think it would bother me all day long.

Going with a Cummins in the long run will save you a lot of headaches and should be guaranteed to be much more reliable than the 6.5 ever will.

What's up with the grey mega cab GM dually there? Good Photoshop

That's what I'm hoping. Something dead reliable that I never have to f*#k with!

Dang I didn't even catch that. I just thought it was a double post of the same picture or something. Looks good to me

Mega cab was photoshop, I actually dig it but all the interior trim piece stuff would need to be custom.

Plus it's sounding like some good things are just falling into ur lap, who else gets a job where u get to part out an work on trucks an get an awesome deal on a motor your wanting. Sounds pretty good to me, an the aftermarket support for a 12v is crazy, there's so many companies that make pretty much any setup you could want

I've been getting lucky, he even offered me shop space in another building on the property. Only bummer is there's no electricity. But there are plenty of generators so I can probably make something work.

And as far as power numbers, I want to be around 250hp/800tq and see how that does. If not I guess I can do more mods like compound turbos or something. This diesel modding stuff is all new to me!!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another little night update, now seemed like the only time that I had to work on these, so I disassembled the handles (4x T20 screws per handle), cleaned them up best I could then painted them with black engine enamel. Sprayed them outside real quick, then took them inside and let them toast in front of the fire, then take them back out and spray them again and repeat the process three times. Passenger side is done with new a new lock cylinder too, drivers side is still drying. Still shows pitting and whatnot, but a million times better than what they were.

The lock pawl pieces had to be flipped from each handle, something with the lock cylinders is backwards between the topkicks and gmt400s but it works.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
He said that he was going to do it right and move the axle up when he has time. But I dig the idea! I also asked about how far the fenders stick out compared to the rims and he said it's noticeable but not enough to bother him. I think it would bother me all day long.
It's another 4" thing. :) About 4" inside the fender lip on each side! The C&C rear is approximately 8" narrower than a standard dually rear. You could go the really hard and custom route by narrowing the fenders like Raymo on 3500HD.com did, which looked REALLY nice...or pay big bucks for some custom built spacers. I wouldn't do it on a truck that is going to see serious work, but I'm sure the wheel bearings on the Dana 80 can take having the wheels a little farther out without issue. I wouldn't do more than 2" though, which would take up a decent amount of the space. I think you'll find though once you price out having someone make these, you'll start really looking at the idea of narrowing your fenders!

Another option albeit a very slim chance is finding the wide track option rear for the 3500HD. They're out there, but I've personally only seen one, and only in pics. A member on 3500HD.com had it, the guy with the "Marshall badge" 6 spoke Alcoa's. Just looked it up.. the RPO for wide track is 5T2 - his pics are long gone but his youtube video is still up, you can see the wide track rear, the rare 6 spoke Alcoas, etc. on his 2001 8.1 HD
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Richard

Last edited: