1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
See ^ ?!?!?

This is all but putting itself together, engine in, drive over to buddies place and get a computer for the cost of a case of beer (or a handy J).

Truck is barely costing you anything really

Bam. Done. Peel out son

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
It's for sure a 5.13 rear end in my HD (RPO code checked) and all the F-Superduty trucks I'm around seem to be 5.13s as well!

Then as far as a 94 computer goes I can probably get one but then I have to dick with changing the wiring harness since the 96 is OBDII. But there is this core engine from a 96 laying around, supposedly had head problems but the injector and turbo were fairly new. Could yank the IP and front bracket assembly if I was desperate enough. He said I could have that engine if I wanted to go that route.

Butttttt I said **** the 6.5 deal alltogether and like @cool_as_crap said I might as well do it once and with that said, I'm putting a cummins in this hog and am done dicking with the 6.5 idea. I'm over it. Might as well put in what I want.

Still haven't finalized details yet with the junkyard owner, but he's going to hook me up with a 12v. There are two trucks sitting around that are both 93s (intercooled) with 5 speed manuals and a passenger drop transfer case. Hint hint, that dana 70 axle is pass side drop. There are like 4 or 5 other cummins trucks but with automatics and 2wd but frankly I want a manual and the pass drop t case makes it easy to make 4wd functional in this thing. Just sucks that they are all ****** Getrags but I can always install a NV4500 when I can find one. I'd also prefer a p-pump but whatever I can start with a VE pump.

The only thing that the owner is questioning, is he has no engines just laying around. They are all complete trucks and the cheapest one he bought was $2200 years ago for a 89 Ram 250 2wd truck, and I can't find a better deal than that anywhere on Craigslist. So I'm more than likely going to have to absorb that cost, but we will see.

Eyeing this truck for it's goods:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also got the cluster and fog light switch thing in today. But nothing extra.

gstubbz

Reaction score
...or do that

I debated this long and hard last night, yes a 6.5 would be much easier to get this going as quickly as possible, but going the cummins route also saves me from ripping apart my 94 6.5 truck, which might be a good thing. I'll probably fix that truck and sell it and put that money towards something on this build rather than having a shell of a truck not worth anything.

The other reason being that I probably will not pay too much for the engine and trans since I help them out with a bunch of stuff.

IMO not worth the effort to change IP, or get computer tuned, or change engine harness, etc. I'd highly consider it if I didn't just talk my way into the cummins.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Screw the 6.5 if u can get a good deal on the 12v you'll be much happier once it's running and dnt have to swap another motor

gstubbz

Reaction score
Screw the 6.5 if u can get a good deal on the 12v you'll be much happier once it's running and dnt have to swap another motor

That's kinda what I'm feeling at this point. 12 valve opens me up to a lot of opportunities, run pretty much every transmission under the sun as well as being dead reliable. And when I get around to running a manual transmission I can run whatever from a nv4500 up to all the high end 10+ speed medium duty transmissions. Can't do that with a 6.5 unfortunately. And add to the fact you can get some serious power out of a 12v. In addition, it looks like all I have to hack up is the engine crossmember instead of the firewall to go with a bigger diesel engine.

So in all honesty the 5.9 is the way to go.

Also, I can get a PTO with the cummins where I could only do that with a nv4500 on the chevy or with a borg warner t-case, or also a divorced 205 tcase. But having a PTO straight in the transmission makes it easy to get a wrecker bed on the back and ready to use.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I didn't mention this earlier but I found this out in the yard today. F-Superduty with a dana 70 front but this one is a driver side drop on an ex-forest service truck and when I get around to the 4x4 swap I can take my pick.

So just another option. Not trying to close all the doors on this truck but I can go several different ways with whatever I do.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I did also see both of these and thought they were pretty neat! There's a group on facebook called "GM Full Size Diesel Swap" and the guys there have been super helpful providing photos and info, and some had HDs with Cummins in them and said all I really need to do is hack the engine cross member and that's it. No body lift or other stuff.