1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you buy the good felpro kit (ms98000t) it comes with silicone and one valve cover gasket. After using a couple of the lower end gaskets on a previous truck I'll never but anything but the better felpro even though they are around $60.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may just do both valve cover gaskets while I'm in there. I found out we can get parts for merchant price at work, so I'm going to bring a list of parts numbers to price out there, and hopefully have everything I need ordered this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
RTV for the valve cover gaskets - no. RTV for the intake to seat to the block - yes.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I thank you for your patience and help.

Unfortunately, the truck will have to wait a little bit longer. I went to replace my front pads, rotors, and hoses on the Camaro, but the guide pins were locked up and I didn't have the time or the means to mess with it, and was forced to put the old stuff back until I ordered new calipers. Well, one of the brakes locked up today, so new calipers for that will be ordered at work tomorrow.

I do have a couple more questions about the truck.

1) I heard its easy to break the injector clips, or whatever they're called. Are there replacements I can get just in case? Or any tips on taking out the injectors without breaking them?

2) I've been worried about breaking some bolts while taking everything apart, new manifold bolts are on the list of parts to get. If I do break a bolt, is it really anything to worry about? How hard is it to remove them? I have an extractor set, but I haven't really had success with it yet.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I thank you for your patience and help.

Unfortunately, the truck will have to wait a little bit longer. I went to replace my front pads, rotors, and hoses on the Camaro, but the guide pins were locked up and I didn't have the time or the means to mess with it, and was forced to put the old stuff back until I ordered new calipers. Well, one of the brakes locked up today, so new calipers for that will be ordered at work tomorrow.

I do have a couple more questions about the truck.

1) I heard its easy to break the injector clips, or whatever they're called. Are there replacements I can get just in case? Or any tips on taking out the injectors without breaking them?

2) I've been worried about breaking some bolts while taking everything apart, new manifold bolts are on the list of parts to get. If I do break a bolt, is it really anything to worry about? How hard is it to remove them? I have an extractor set, but I haven't really had success with it yet.

If you are still doing the MPFI upgrade to the Spider, then there are no clips to break. They simply pinch in, and you pull the injector out, then push the new one in. If I remember right, it's part of the injector, but I can't say for sure, it's been nearly two years since I've seen one up close.

You should not break manifold bolts, on the intake side. On the exhaust side it's common.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing PB Blaster and patience are your friends while doing this?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I'm guessing PB Blaster and patience are your friends while doing this?

The intake bolts aren't exposed, nothing really gets on them, and they don't see nearly the heat cycles exhaust do. I've swapped traditional carb SBC intakes on my lunch period before lol.

The only hold back to this, is there are 78 million steps lol. Then there's the thing's you forget, or like I struggled with the fuel lines, there's always some time suck that comes up.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
You can see the clips in this pic, they just pinch in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Some crappy pics from my last install,

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I've never done anything like this before, so I'm nervous about it, but at the same time I want tear into it already, haha. I'm definitely missing it, haha.

Is it common to break the upper intake bolts, I was looking on rock auto for replacements for those, but didn't see anything. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, it was looking in the wrong area