1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you unhook the lines at the rear of the manifold? Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth open right.
I just use a regular wrench.

The video I watched said something about the power steering, but I know he said you could get by without pulling it. I'll look up when I get home from work and see if I can see exactly what he says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to pull the pulley to get to the a/c, p/s bracket off. The pump can stay attached to the bracket and just be moved out of the way.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I just watched the video again. He doesn't take the AC bracket off, he takes the bolts out and slides it forward. He mentions that you have to take the AC bracket and PS pump and pulley off if you're doing the head gasket.

This is the video I've been referencing. I know you guys don't want to spend a half hour of your life watching a video on something you already know how to do, but he mentions the PS pump at about the 22:00 mark.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, when I replaced my fuel injection about 5-6 years ago, I never had to remove ps pump. it's all the stuff on top you need to take off. valve covers too because the bottom half of intake sets below them. My upper half is plastic. I took the lower half to a machine shop to have cleaned. Maybe $35 or so. maybe take some pics for reference before you start tearing everything apart. I like to do that now so I can help myself remember where everything went.
also be careful when you remove distributor/rotor that you don't move the crank & cam because that'll throw your timing off when you reinstall everything. I did a compression test while everything was torn apart not thinking about that, and I had a heck of a time getting the timing right after I put everything back together. learned all about cam retard offset and ended up purchasing some software from scantool and plugging in to diagnostic port to tell me what the timing was.
I had also lost my distributor hold down clamp. have no idea how I misplaced it, but had to go to GM parts store at a dealership and buy. It was maybe like $2.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'll definitely be taking plenty of pictures before and during taking everything apart.

Will it be fine to reuse the valve cover gaskets? In the video, he said they're reusable, but I'm going to have some trouble paying for the parts as is. I'll look some up and see how much they are, but I'd like to save some money where I can

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'll definitely be taking plenty of pictures before and during taking everything apart.

Will it be fine to reuse the valve cover gaskets? In the video, he said they're reusable, but I'm going to have some trouble paying for the parts as is. I'll look some up and see how much they are, but I'd like to save some money where I can

I've always re used them. Just make sure they're clean and check for leaks after you're done.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for re-using gaskets, two points: these are non critical, so the worst scenario is that they will leak. The second point is that someone may have glued them to either the head or the valve cover, and it may be impossible to get them off without damage. If that happens, you will have to run out and get replacements. Might be better to have a pair of new ones handy, and then return them if you don't need them.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you need RTV or anything for the gaskets?