1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will the upgrade make it less common for the spider injection to go out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then I'll probably do that, as well. Thank you

About how long does a gasket job take? I know it varies with whose doing it, but is there a ballpark estimate?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The gaskets, spider, and quick connect are the three things on a Vortec that will fail sooner or later.

The last time I changed one, it took me about six hours, working leisurely and going to the store to get a set of crows foot wrenches

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What were the crowd foot wrenches for? In the video I watched, it looked like he only used 10,13, and 14mm wrenches

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I couldn't unhook the fuel lines behind the intake at the transmission/engine mounting surface without them.

I monkeyed around for a good hour before I gave it up, maybe you'll get lucky lol. I haven't used those stupid crows foot wrenches since lol.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would flare but wrenches work? I never really knew what crows for wrenches were for, haha

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never needed crows foot wrenches but you do need an inch pound torque wrench. I have done those several times and the last one I blasted through in just over 3 hours. 5-6 is typical though. You also need to have a power steering pulley puller and installation tool.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I never needed crows foot wrenches but you do need an inch pound torque wrench. I have done those several times and the last one I blasted through in just over 3 hours. 5-6 is typical though. You also need to have a power steering pulley puller and installation tool.

How do you unhook the lines at the rear of the manifold? Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth open right.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The video I watched said something about the power steering, but I know he said you could get by without pulling it. I'll look up when I get home from work and see if I can see exactly what he says