1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine was 180* off, as you mentioned it may be. All of the timing marks lined up, on the distributor, and the harmonic balancer and timing cover. Screwed down the distributor, threw the air intake assembly on, and put the belt on. All that's left is to flush the cooling system, change the oil, and put the battery back in, and it'll be done!

You must be registered for see images attach

One, hopefully, minor thing. As I was tightening down the cap, on of the screw holes cracked.

It should be fine for now, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to do a coolant flush next. I was told to take the thermostat out, and run a garden hose through the upper radiator hose until clean water comes out. Is that an okay method of doing a flush?

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coolant flushed, oil changed, battery in, no start. I the truck battery seems dead, I have my car battery in it now, and it's cranking a lot stronger, but that's all it's doing. It just cranks. Any ideas? Timing? Distributor?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Coolant flushed, oil changed, battery in, no start. I the truck battery seems dead, I have my car battery in it now, and it's cranking a lot stronger, but that's all it's doing. It just cranks. Any ideas? Timing? Distributor?

The easiest thing to do, is check for fuel, turn the key to the run position, then (CAREFULLY) cover with a rage or something, and push the schrader valve. You don't want gas in your eyes, and it's under alot of pressure, if it's under pressure. So, you'll know if you have fuel there.

If you do, move on to check for spark. You can pull a wire and use it on another plug if you have one, or use another plug, put the ground strap up against something steel while someone cranks, and see if it sparks.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I never saw this, haha. It had fuel the whole time, every time I pulled the plug you could smell it.

Got it started, though! It's running rough, and has the timing code. I'm going I see if my scan tool is capable of setting the timing, if not, I'll be taking it to work on Monday and have them set it.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, taking a closer look, I think the bolts may supposed to be like that.

Made a decent amount of progress today. I got the fuel lines connected, got the alternator on, bolted the ac compressor on, and got a few more electrical connections and lines/hoses hooked up.

Couple more questions:

1) anyone know off hand what this connects too? I have three connectors left (that I noticed), and the other two are for the air intake assembly. I just don't see where this one goes.

2) are these two tubes supposed to have anything connected to them, or are they pretty much breathers?

What's left:
- Timing
- Cap/ plug in plug wires and rotors
- Install belt
- Install air cleaner assembly
- Plug in last of connections
- Install battery
- Flush cooling system/ add coolant
- Change oil

that plug looks like the one on the back of the ac compressor

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had my heads off and couple winters back for a header install. Looks like you've done well though. Confidence and thoroughness is key when it comes to stuff like this. I had never been in an engine when I pulled my heads. But I dove in and got it done. Last winter I bought a Grand Prix with a broken forward band in the trans. I got a bunch of parts and a manual and tackled my first very light trans build. Had no clue what the f I was doing. But I checked my work four times. Yes. It was a pain pulling a stack of guts out of a trans housing three times but I did it to make sure I had it.

Let me know how that MPFI spider works out. I should have done mine but didn't and now I regret it as I'll have to take a bunch of crap apart to get to it again.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem, it was definitely a learning experience, and I'm proud to say that I was able to do it. The mpfi seems to be working well, I didn't really have any problems with the old system, so I don't have a whole lot to really compare too, but it seems fine.

A fuel line cracked, or busted or something tonight, and dumped fuel all over the drive way. Unfortunately, it's too cold, and I don't have the time to tackle that myself, so I'll probably be blowing my savings and cheating out on Christmas gifts this year, but I already started another thread about that, haha.