1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Try to start it? That's how I check on a Vortec, since I can't ever see the timing marks lol, although, you can kind of feel them.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okie doke, haha, I can't find them either. How am I supposed to know if it's Tdc, though? When the air stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Okie doke, haha, I can't find them either. How am I supposed to know if it's Tdc, though? When the air stops?

Correct. Or you can get a piston stop, if you can find one locally.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I won't be back out for a little while, but I'll keep this posted.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a bit of a dumb question, but will it be bad if I put a new cap on, but old rotor, plugs, and wires? I have everything else, so I'll do them in class when I get it running, but I'm missing one of the Torx screws for the old cap

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Probably a bit of a dumb question, but will it be bad if I put a new cap on, but old rotor, plugs, and wires? I have everything else, so I'll do them in class when I get it running, but I'm missing one of the Torx screws for the old cap

It won't hurt a thing.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, thank you. Are there marks that are supposed to lined up on the distributor itself, or will setting to Tdc deal with that?

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the article. I found the timing marks on the balancer and timing cover, and got those lined up. Since I had to take the rotor off to get the marks lined up, I'll be putting the new one on. Then, cap, wires, and air intake assembly will be going back on. After that, I should jut have to flush the cooling system and Change the oil, but I'll probably call it a night after I get everything put back on

Is there a certain way the rotor has to be installed? Everything on google just defaults to how to install a distributor

Well, just decided to take a gamble and throw the rotor on, but the way the distributor is set I can't get the cap on. One of the spots where the wires plug into is hitting the cam sensor plug

Last edited: