1995 TBI compression ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my truck is a light duty C1500, 5.7. Seems to be so much conflicting info,. Does anybody know for sure beyond a doubt what the compression ratio is?
i've also been trying to determine if the block is roller cam ready,. I have a lot of old LT1 stuff i can use,.It's a daily driver so i can't see into it unless i pull the intake,.
Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure beyond a doubt what the compression ratio is?
Not until you get a "calibrated" gauge but, a TBI engine with 193 heads s/b ~160 +/-

i've also been trying to determine if the block is roller cam ready,.
What year? Yes, to be sure, you'll need to either pull the intake manifold and/or drop the oil pan, timing cover and look for the cam retainer plate boss with the 2 drilled and tapped holes. Pay attention to the spacing of those holes. Older years are further apart than newer blocks. Then you can order the correct kit from places like Comp Cams, etc. ;)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Truck" TBI had dished pistons at 9.25 advertised ratio (7200 GVW and lower, I don't know if the higher-GVW engines were different); "Caprice/Roadmaster" TBI had flat-tops at 9.6 advertised compression ratio.

There's a GM timing set that comes with crank and cam gears, the chain, the wide-spaced thrust plate, the narrow-spaced thrust plate, and the thrust plate screws.
www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12371043

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Truck" TBI had dished pistons at 9.25 advertised ratio (7200 GVW and lower, I don't know if the higher-GVW engines were different); "Caprice/Roadmaster" TBI had flat-tops at 9.6 advertised compression ratio.

There's a GM timing set that comes with crank and cam gears, the chain, the wide-spaced thrust plate, the narrow-spaced thrust plate, and the thrust plate screws.
www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12371043
The higher GVW had 18cc dished and 8.75:1 advertised.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the 94 and 95 maybe late 93 truck motors gm quit drilling and taping the roller cam provisions to save money. The provisions are there though. Have to look to know for sure

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the 94 and 95 maybe late 93 truck motors gm quit drilling and taping the roller cam provisions to save money. The provisions are there though. Have to look to know for sure
They stopped tapping some yet put roller cams in others. My uncles 94 had a factory roller cam. GM also had a block that had no provisions at all for a roller cam that I have seen as late as 1995 in the trucks. The stand offs are not even cast into those blocks nor are the lifter bores machined down to accept the lifter dog bones.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So consensus of opinion is 9.25? i was looking at some nice 416 heads, with the small chambers and small valves. Truck is just grocery getter, so torque more important than HP,. i guess i'll have to see if i can get the camera down a pushrod hole to see if its roller ready,, IF i have a non roller ready block, i'll get a vortec,.
roller cams important to me in a build.

Attachments

• 0DB4F269-8B83-4ADA-A86B-7AFBE0EC8613.jpeg
    0DB4F269-8B83-4ADA-A86B-7AFBE0EC8613.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 2