1994 1500 & 1999 2500 TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
No prob man, Im pretty sure its because GM went to a double U joint set up or something funky like that...cant remember exactly what all changed besides the welded on flange on the column.

Do you know if the rag joint that connects to the box is replaceable, or is it permanetly attached to the shaft

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo! now Free

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Do you know if the rag joint that connects to the box is replaceable, or is it permanetly attached to the shaft

Replaceable, but gm will probably only sell a complete shaft.

Won't be cheap, if gm even still carries it.

Scrapyard is still the best bet.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Replaceable, but gm will probably only sell a complete shaft.

Won't be cheap, if gm even still carries it.

Scrapyard is still the best bet.

GM wants about $180 for the entire assembly. Self serve junkyard's price list says $9.50 for a steering shaft....? :hum: I have no problem going and grabbing a used one, but now that im hired in, i work till 5pm, and the junk yard closes at 5... .So that doesn't work. So that leaves Saturday....

To be honest, i really just want to go all new. Just for the sense of security since if im hanging with my friends, i drive.. I would hate for the steering to **** out again, and someone get seriously injured. And to be honest, my loving mommy said she would pay for parts.... Which is extremely nice of her, but my parents have NO money in my truck. I worked my @$$ off and bought it. I bought the tires, rims, computer tune, tow mirrors, ect. Its MY baby, and would like to keep it that way. So maybe i will just fork out the $180 and call it a day. I did just get $125 back from the Gear box core charge.

Gopedxr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its got skirts or wheels it will cost you! haha i learned. I wonder if it would be cheaper on ebay. It was 300 for parts for my front end and my friend said ebay will be half of the price. New parts to.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll cut corners on parts in a lot of places but the steering and brakes ain't one of them. I had a front right wheel fall off due to a repair the PO of the vehicle made and I didn't check behind him and after that I am a believer.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bluex what you think if yous slop in your steering or felt loose?

Pitman, idler, tie rods, steering box, or the rubber part of your rag joint.

I rebuilt my front end (steering parts) except the rag joint an there is no slop in mine at 264k miles.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Looks like I have three options. Can get a used shaft already pulled off ebay for about $60, a new dhaft from GM for $180-$250, or go to the yard saturday and pull my own for $9.50 (+$2 to enter the yard). Called the yard because they sell used parts as well, but dont have any available I guess. So its loojing like I will be going to the pick n pull saturday and seeing if theres any ones worth my time.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
shes back!!!! Got everything installed, filled with fluid, and started her up. Turned the tires and no slippage. .. steering is nice and tight. Want to drive it around, but my roommate gave me his puppy dog eyes to go to the racetrack and watch his das and brother-in-law race... Hopefully have a little time tomorrow. I do have an entire 12 page research paper to write