1990 5 speed SCSB. ?? On 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99kon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will my 5 speed trans bolt up to the 6.0 block that I have?
How about the flywheel?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would switch to a T56 and skip the compatibility worries and the bad gear ratios.

99kon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On to looking for a T56!
I guess the drive shaft would be shorter? Or are the trans the same length?
My shifter would not be in the stock location?

99kon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very expensive!
Just looked around on craigslist and found the cheapest for $800 used!
Maybe if I find a good deal I'll get it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my T56 for $400....granted it did come in a couple boxes though...some assembly required...

if you do get a T56, and you're running a 6.0, get a T56 from a 98+ F body LS1 car...

killerkart

Reaction score
I have a T56 in my 90 sportside which originally had a 5 speed and yes the driveshaft had to be shortened and a couple other minor alterations, but it was well worth it. You can use the early T56 transmission with the 2.66 first gear against the 6.0 but you must change the input shaft for the hookup and while you're into it, changing the syncros from aluminum to steel billet and install bronze bushings is a hot ticket. On another note you really do not have to use the rear shifter position as there are aftermarket shifters to reposition the shifter to the upfront position. In my case I wanted to use my stock bench seat, so I had a C section cut out of the seat approximately 4 inches back and 4 inches across by a friend who is an upholsterer and the shifter lays right next to you. I've never taken photos though I should but this was the first of the mods on my truck and although I have a fresh 96 LT1 for it, I too am considering a 6.0 but that may never happen. If you do go this route using the T56, you will have to run at least a 3:73 rear for drivability, otherwise you'll be feathering the clutch with the 3:42's as I believe that's the gear ratio all 5 speeds came with.

Hope this helps

91blkstpsd

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer to the original post, yes you can bolt 5 speed to LS engine. I have a 5.3L using the 5 speed in my 93. Use a 4.8L Flywheel and clutch kit.
You must be registered for see images attach

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To answer to the original post, yes you can bolt 5 speed to LS engine. I have a 5.3L using the 5 speed in my 93. Use a 4.8L Flywheel and clutch kit.
You must be registered for see images attach

The only problem youll run into is that the tranny will fragment. Ive been running one behind a 4.3 and even taking it easy its starting to die. They are a real weak tranny that shouldn't be used with more than 200 hp IMHO.