1990 454SS? $2600

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I can see it has the seats, mirrors and a big block. It's tough from the few poor quality pics to tell if it is real. If someone was to look at it, the list I provided should help determine if it's real or not. Of course the VIN with all the others will be certain.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
it def has some of the rt options from what i can tell but it ragged lookiing too. your looking at 2600 to get it maybe 2-3k in body work in paint depending on how the body is then you still dont even know how it is mechanically and how the int is. I think somone would be better off to drop more coin on a nicer one imo. plus if you want ss wheels with the correct center and tires add another 800+

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are alot of abnormailities with some SS trucks. Some early 90 trucks had dumbo mirrors and some canadian SS's got the 80 MPH speedo. Vin is the easiest and best way to check. The 8th digit will be an "N" if it's a reall SS.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it def has some of the rt options from what i can tell but it ragged lookiing too. your looking at 2600 to get it maybe 2-3k in body work in paint depending on how the body is then you still dont even know how it is mechanically and how the int is. I think somone would be better off to drop more coin on a nicer one imo. plus if you want ss wheels with the correct center and tires add another 800+

@ Dev - gonna sell my SS wheels for about half that when I get home.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
There are alot of abnormailities with some SS trucks. Some early 90 trucks had dumbo mirrors and some canadian SS's got the 80 MPH speedo. Vin is the easiest and best way to check. The 8th digit will be an "N" if it's a reall SS.
... Canadian ones never had a MPH speedo, all the ones ive seen have had the regular old 140 KM/H Speedo.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I know this was discussed either here or the 454SS site, but my truck is an early truck and it never had dumbo mirrors (others that don't know I bought my truck in 1991 with 4300 miles on it). When I first bought my truck, I hung out with other local 454SS owners (5 trucks within a 50 mile radius), and got to know 2 guys really well (one in fact is now a brother in law). I did a lot of work on each of these trucks, and even did an LS1 swap into one of them about 10 years ago. Not one of those trucks had dumbo mirrors and they were all 1990 trucks. I also worked at a shop that did cellular phone/two way radio installs and we did several 454SS trucks for a paving company (all model years 1990-1993), and every one of them had the sport mirrors, bucket seats, blah, blah, blah.

I've never seen a 'real' 454SS with dumbo mirrors that someone didn't add themselves. Until I see actual proof that they came otherwise (not beliefs of people on the internet), I will disagree that these trucks came more than one way. The Sport trucks came with dumbo mirrors and not the sport mirrors from the factory. The Sport trucks share many things with the 454SS, but not everything. IIRC all 454SS trucks were built in the same factory (FT Wayne IN) and that kinda rules out any variances from plant to plant. All 1990 & 1991 US bound trucks were identical from the factory with very few exceptions. I can accept that export trucks were different in some ways, due to the laws in those countries.

Obviously as I stated earlier those are the things to look for when trying to decipher if a 454SS is real or not. The VIN is the proper way, but if the VIN is correct and the truck has a bench seat, wrong instrument cluster and a 10 bolt, I would walk away from it. You can bet there are some 'real' 454SS trucks that did not start life as a 454SS. It's just like the muscle car world. There are many GTOs out there that started life as a LeMans...Yes in 1964 a GTO started out as an option on a LeMans, but in 1966 the GTO became it's own model, with its own VIN sequence until 1971. Many people have swapped VINs from car to car over the years. It's a little tougher to do with a late model, but if someone doesn't know what they are looking for in the first place, they could be deceived into thinking one was real.

Not trying to pick an efight in any way. I have been in touch with alot of these trucks over the last 21 years I have owned mine. When these trucks are bought as used vehicles many years after they were built, it is tough to know what is correct and what is not.