1989 K1500 ECLB 4x4 Build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I found 'em on ebay, 12.75 shipped! it came with a wiring harness, and pocket for the old radio, I plan on putting a piece of plastic over that and using that as my switch panel.
Also picked up a cheap radio (amazon) that has USB/SD/AUX inputs and no CD, just what I need for $31, came with a little remote I'll velcro to to the wheel so I'll have wheel mounted audio controls... who needs that new crap!...I've got 4 pioneer 6x9s in the garage I'll use so the audio section is complete.. so other than waiting on my fender, rear spring mount, and a set of air springs. I've got all my parts. The FedEX / UPS men will be happy.

A quick rundown of all the parts that are waiting to be replaced / redone / added to " lil' rehab "

Engine / Trans
- TBI rebuild kit
- New TB Injectors
- Intake, head gaskets
- 180* thermostat
- Headman LT headers - wrapped w/ DEI Ti-Wrap
- Complete Tune Up ( Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PCV, fluids, adj. TV cable)
- Hooker Header back dual exhaust (w/ homemade crossover) and Super Comp mufflers
- B&M Transpak Street / Strip kit
- N.A.P. 700R4 rebuild kit w. perf. clutches bands / steels
- Flush / check radiator

Suspension:
- RCX 6" kit w/ steering stabilizer
- Air / Lift 5k lift springs
- U/L ball joints
- I/O tie rods, center sleeves
- Idler Arm, Pitman arm
- Energy Suspension Poly bushings
- Rotors, Drums, Pads, shoes, Rebuilt Calipers, new springs for drums.
- refinish Cragar steel wheels
- 315/75/R16E GY Duratracs

Exterior:
- sand / paint frame & chassis
- OEM style fender flares
- cab corner / fix rockers
- Pass. front fender
- Build front bumper
- fix large dents
- fill / sand body
- truck / chassis will be painted in a semi-gloss black industrial epoxy I got for free (It's used to paint ship hulls, should hold up)

Got about $3900 invested now, Incl. purchase price, reg, 6mos Ins, and all the parts. Dad and I are doing all the work. It'll be allot a work, and a bit more than I wanted to spend. But it'll be mostly bulletproof, cheap to fix, and way more capable than any new truck, not to mention about $32,000 cheaper than a new ECLB Z71 Chevy....

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeap as long as you have the know how to do it, the realized savings are insane!

It's nice too b/c of the level of personality you can have on an older vehicle..
on that -900 after a few bolt on items your at the ceiling of reasonably priced, DIY mods.
When I swapped the 5.3 to the 6.0 the amount of sensors and wiring to run what is essentially a SBC was mind boggling (8 sensors in the valley of the engine WTF!!).
the aluminum construction makes it senseless to try and rebuild with cheap cores everywhere. and there's no cheap way to add serious HP ($800 cam & lifters anyone?).
No thanks, tried to be hip and modern with my plastic fantastic GMC and it nearly killed me.. sticking with my beat up old GMs and Jeeps from now on.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Looks like an awesome project, and what a great read so far. As already said, obviously, you are one lucky man.

Subscribed and looking forward to updates.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Yeap as long as you have the know how to do it, the realized savings are insane!

It's nice too b/c of the level of personality you can have on an older vehicle..
on that -900 after a few bolt on items your at the ceiling of reasonably priced, DIY mods.
When I swapped the 5.3 to the 6.0 the amount of sensors and wiring to run what is essentially a SBC was mind boggling (8 sensors in the valley of the engine WTF!!).
the aluminum construction makes it senseless to try and rebuild with cheap cores everywhere. and there's no cheap way to add serious HP ($800 cam & lifters anyone?).
No thanks, tried to be hip and modern with my plastic fantastic GMC and it nearly killed me.. sticking with my beat up old GMs and Jeeps from now on.

I def agree with that train of thought! Neither of my 400s are going anywhere...they may go through different stages but they are far from leaving!