1989 K1500 ECLB 4x4 Build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
looking good man ill be following this,hope your feel in better. That really sucks about the 900 makes me lose faith in chevy's new stuff.

Agreed....def has me seriously considering going no newer then an 800.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
.. Yeah, before I bought the '09 I originally was looking for a 01-06 2500 c/c Dmax or a 73-87 K20 to put some $$ into and make bulletproof.
However my job requiring me to travel 60-75k a year meant a rolling project wasnt an option, plus with the Old GM going out of business sale I picked up the '09 for a fire sale price. Unfortunately it was the most unreliable and fragile FS truck I've ever owned.... in 135,000 miles I did U/L ball joints, tie rods, lower control arms (x2) both rear wheel cylinders, trans cooler lines, both wheel bearings, D/S window regulator, D/S door lock switch.
At 102k the trans started slipping, and at 103k a lifter turned in the block (AFM system = Fail) ate the cam lobe, bearing, and finally a main bearing I put a take out '09 2500 6.0 and 6spd in it and it was a beast until it tried to kill me.

in 3 years and 135k of ownership I had over $9500 in non-routine maint repairs..... No more... sticking with my simple old stuff. When I outgrow the TBI It'll be a carb'd 383... nothing fancier than that... my '89 has wind up windows, floor shift tcase, and a 5.7, cheap, simple, and easy to fix.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost forgot, got a little done today...

added an OEM set of flares to all but the crunched P/S front fender (replacement in the works) wire wheel'd, por-15 under the mounting spots, and fender lips to keep rust at bay..

Before and After ... added on some -900 style Z71 stickers my buddy gave me... not sure how I feel about it, maybe should have moved them down some more...

You must be registered for see images attach

thats the P.O.s exhaust.... soon to be in the scrap bin

Other minor stuff - fixed glove box door, replaced worn out sunvisors, new side mirror glass, lube'd locks, doors, hood, tgate

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Hell of an accident you had. Sorry to hear about your injuries, but you're lucky to still be here today! Looks like you've got some great plans for the truck, make sure to keep us all updated.

Best of luck on the road to recovery.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
93SierraWT - Thanks! I've always liked the look of the later composite light GMC grill and a cowl hood.... is that a 2" or 4" cowl?

Are there any write ups out there / kits to install a DIN cd player into the center dash pocket?
I kinda want to relocate it there, remove the OEM unit, and install a switch panel / storage pocket.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
93SierraWT - Thanks! I've always liked the look of the later composite light GMC grill and a cowl hood.... is that a 2" or 4" cowl?

Are there any write ups out there / kits to install a DIN cd player into the center dash pocket?
I kinda want to relocate it there, remove the OEM unit, and install a switch panel / storage pocket.

You mean something like this?

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score

It's a 2" cowl. And yes they make a kit, it comes with a new dash piece for the center and a pocket to go where the old unit was. I got mine from my local audio place.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Yea, your local audio place should have a dash kit for your truck. Some of them come with a cd pocket to replace the original head unit. I currently have this setup, but in the spring im installing a switch panel in that placement.