1989 GMC Sierra ST. Aaaand now I have 3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So it turns out this breakdown was partially my fault :mad: Before I get into that, this morning the first thing I tried was unplugging the TPS, no change. Then, just for the heck of it, I disconnected the fuel line running to the throttle body, and sure enough, no fuel. Not sure why I didn't see the injectors pulse then, but anyways, I went halfway back and disconnected the line before the fuel filter, and still nothing. I could hear the pump run, so I figured the tank had to come out. I dropped the tank, and when I went to pull the sending unit out, I realized what happened.
You must be registered for see images attach

Back when I got this truck, I installed a fuel pump, sending unit, and tank from a parts truck. When I went to go put it in, I noticed that some bug or something had packed the return line with dirt, and I couldn't get them cleaned out, so I had to cut the line to be able to clean it out better. I just slipped some hose over the ends. I figured it would be tight enough to not cause any issues. Turns out I was wrong. It must have had too much pressure on the assembly while I was motoring around some corners while going up that hill, and popped the pressure hose off at the pump, so it was just pumping right back into the tank.
I ended up stealing the brand new pump/sending unit I had already installed in my other truck and popped it in, fired right up. Now as a bonus, the fuel gauge works too!!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Since the fuel gauge is now fixed, I went ahead and decided to spray bomb the tailgate to "match" the rest of the truck. Maybe it will look more appealing in the Craigslist ad. I had a cheap can of flat black that turned out crappy, but at least its black now.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So now that i've spent the past month and a half getting this thing back to life, it's time to sell it. Its definitely a fun truck to beat around, but really won't have a use for it with the new one on the road.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Drove it to work one last time today, and sprayed a whole can of Instant Shine on, and boy does that stuff make a difference. Certainly polished a Turd! I have two people interested, so i'm guessing it will be sold either tomorrow or Monday. Also made a little video of a small burnout on my way home.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I use tire shine on engine bays to make them look better than new, and also head and taillights. Instant Shine lasts longer than tire shine imo. Not sure where you could even buy it, our shop gets it for doll up through a detail company, i've never seen it on a store shelf.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Aaaand i'ts gone. Hate to see it go, it was a fun beater. It helps that I got my asking price with no haggling, and is already paid for and driven away.