1989 GMC Sierra ST. Aaaand now I have 3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So yeah, I admit i'm addicted to buying cars. Since my other short term project/supposed to be driver seems to be having some trans issues, I went ahead and bought this beater for $450. Its a 1989 Sierra ST, 140k, 350 5spd, 3.42 rear. Obviously the body is pretty beat, but I don't care. It runs good (think it has bad gas) and shifts great. There are a few things that will need attention immediately, like all 4 shocks, exhaust, (has Y pipe only), fuel lines (return dripping), and tank. It has some plastic tank from a newer truck that is quite possibly the most ghetto rigged tank i've ever seen. Luckily I have a spare tank from one of my previous parts trucks. Other than that, maybe a tune up, and a few other parts from the junkyard, but I think it will be quicker and cheaper to get road ready than the other one.
You must be registered for see images attach

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice find for how cheap you got it!
What is the "ST" trim"?

You've got quite the collection :D
Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't want anymore 400's myself.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Not positive, but I would guess its the same as Chevy's version of the Sport Truck, mainly just an exterior cosmetic package. My '93 is a factory Sport model, came with the upgraded suspension and blacked out grille and bumpers. This one isn't highly optioned, I will probably go on Compnine and get a full RPO list to see what it has.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Made some progress after work tonight, I got a bunch of random exhaust pieces from my barn and made a quick system, goes from Y pipe to a 3" generic cherry bomb, down to 2.5" then 90 degrees out right in front of the rear wheel. All I had to buy was one clamp, the rest I had laying around. Sounds pretty good! I also got nearly finished with the gas tank swap, I pulled the spare tank and one strap out of my scrap pile, and popped my spare sending unit and pump in. I temporarily threw a ratchet strap back on the front of the tank since the retard who tried to shove the bigger tank in there hacked off the front tank mount bracket. I also painted over the stupid blue paint on the grille.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So I finished the tank swap and put 5 gallons of fresh gas in. Took it down the road, and of course it acts similarly to the other one I have, bogs under heavy accel. I think this one is a spark issue, once I shifted to 2nd and tried to give it gas, it felt like there was nothing, then all of a sudden it picked up and ran fine. Its like I turned the key off while trying to accelerate. I briefly looked up this issue and it seems like it can be either a coil or ignition control module themselves, or possibly a bad ground. There is wire coming off the coil that leads to nothing just hanging there, but i'll look into it tomorrow.