1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Got the rear diff fluid changed out after the break-in period. Pattern looks great, everything is in check.
You must be registered for see images attach

Took her out once again last weekend. Before I left I lit the fridge and it wasn't cooling, even after 2 days. So, I think that it's probably been operated out of level in the past and the chemical mixture has crystallized and started blocking the cooling unit passages. I might be able to get a few more uses out of it if I "burp" it again.

I also swung by the weigh station on my way camping. Truck with 2 people, dog, a 1/2 tank of gas, a bed full of firewood and the trailer with the usual tank of water, food and stuff. 10,880 lbs. I need to spend some more time and weigh the trailer separately, as well as the truck.

Anyway, I was a rainy weekend. I got my redneck awning setup before it started. I thought I solved the leak in the corner but it's still there. I'm going to have to track that one down soon as fall is most definitely here.

I also had this happen on the way home. Truck is getting close to the good 'ol 200k mark. It's about time for a new powerplant in her.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice job on the project, I'm inspired to say the least! I was noticing that for water lines on your bladder tank, it looks like you used black pipe for the connections. If so I would highly suggest redoing in aluminum pipe or standard pvc, or possibly some vinyl hose. The black pipe will rust and if that is drinking or bathing water, I'm sure you wouldn't want to drink or bath with it. Food for thought

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Trailer jacked up to mimic the approx lifted height, which will be in the 4.5-5" range.

Just for kicks, mounted a spare set of mustang wheels on to not only verify the bolt pattern/backspacing, but to see how they look. If I were to run them, I couldn't use caps due to the hubs.

With the 'stang wheels at approx lifted height.

how she'll sit for the weekend, as i'm going to my parents place and taking the axles with me

And I forgot to mention my door mishap. There is a tensioning rod in the end of the door to keep it from sagging. When I fixed the bottom of it a few weeks back I tried to tighten it and ended up breaking the bolt off. Anyway, since then it started sagging bad and eventually not closing. Anyway, I took the door apart, reinforced a few places, fixed the tensioning rod and also replaced the cardboard with insulation. I also adjusted the door frame back to square.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
looking good as alway's man. i love this thread, as for wieght of your truck i dropped off a load of scrap the other day and with myself and about half a tank of gas i was at 5100lbs. i wiegh about 160lbs. i'm not on a suspension lift but i do have a heavy ass stocker/33" combo, maybe that will give you a bit of an idea on the wieght of your truck.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Alright, so here is what I've been up to over the weekend and didn't get around to posting.

Loaded the axles in the 02 and took them across the state. Got them tied in really well. I couldn't leave the tailgate down and tie them in, cause the bed anchors are so far above the floor there was nothing to keep them from bouncing.

Welded on the new perches.

And the axles back in. Ended up being about 5" of lift.

Now to find a cheap set of larger tires, probably in the 235/75R15 size. I'm also part way through lowering the tongue jack down, which is proving to be slightly difficult but worth it in the end.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
So why could you not just literally flip the axle 180 degrees and just remount them upside down under the leaves?