1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
So why could you not just literally flip the axle 180 degrees and just remount them upside down under the leaves?

:word: they look like just a piece of tube with some hubs on em.

If I could have I would. Most trailer axles are actually slightly arched to give the wheels some camber and provide additional loading capability. It might not be noticeable in those photos but there is about 1/2" of arch across the entire axle's width. If they were straight, I could have just flipped them.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Ya I did notice that in the picture and didn't know if it was on purpose or if the trailer had been hung up on something at one point or another in it's life.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Hokay, I was just curious. I couldn't really tell if those were arched or not.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well, I got a score of a deal today on craigslist.

Replacement fridge. Mine was on it's way out, after the initial few uses it kept working less and less effectively.
You must be registered for see images attach

Spare water pump.

120v to 12v converter.

All for $80.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
When are you putting a set of 38" baja claws on it and the truck? Haha, would look rather sick.

But in all seriousness, I have seen a pop-up camper that had a deck for four wheelers in front of the camper on the tongue of the trailer jacked up and sitting on some BFG A/T's, It looked really slick. Probably lifted up about as tall as yours, maybe more, they may have been 31's.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
It's been quite awhile since I've updated this thread, but the trailer is doing well. It's currently sitting, winterized in the snow outside. I have plans to use it in the upcoming weeks, dependent on weather.

One mod I kept forgetting to post was the Grote 6-LED surface mount flood lights I picked up on ebay. I mounted them on the outside of the trailer, and man they are awesome.

Truck and trailer with every light on.

Few misc camping shots.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Have another update. I replaced the 2 car batteries I had on the trailer with 2 Costco golf cart batteries. They are much larger and a much better deep cycle. I took the trailer out this weekend and ran the lights, flood lights, stereo and heater all weekend (was in the 20s) without any noticeable drop in power. The weekend was quite an adventure.

So, I first started off trying to go to Cle Elum, Wa to camp in the snow. After getting there, we had found out that this winter for the first time, they converted the camping NFS lands to Sno Parking permits. The permits are $42 per vehicle for 2 days. So, we instead went to Vantage, Wa to another camping area we like that doesn't have ridiculous fees. this area doesn't usually get snow, so we were a little bummed because of that, however we had quite the day Saturday. It started snowing around 10am and didn't stop till about 1am. We ended up with about 18" of snow...... Had quite the challenge getting the trailer back out to the road...

The trailer does actually tow quite well in the snow, didn't have any problems. This was the first time using the new towing mirrors, and all I can say is they are nothing short of amazing.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I gotta find me one of these. I bet I could find one pretty cheap right now too because of the colder weather and all. But I really wanna find an s10 to SAS, decisions decisions.