12 gauge amp wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I can get allot of solid copper wire I believe 12 or 16 gauge ..I need to know if I wrap the ends maybe 3 or 4 strands together if that would be good enough for a 1000 watt Sony amp..

Tapatapatalk

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I would just get some proper gauge wire. Don't compromise safety for convenience.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Technically you could use that as long as the conductor cross section is going to be big enough for the intended draw, however solid core wire is stiff. I would just buy some wire: it's not terribly expensive. You are going to require a fuse holder as well, and terminal ends, so you may as well spend an extra few bucks and buy the correct products.

Trade in the copper you have for $$ and use that to buy what you need.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically you could use that as long as the conductor cross section is going to be big enough for the intended draw, however solid core wire is stiff. I would just buy some wire: it's not terribly expensive. You are going to require a fuse holder as well, and terminal ends, so you may as well spend an extra few bucks and buy the correct products.

Trade in the copper you have for $$ and use that to buy what you need.

Well really I just thought it would be cool to use..and I'm only running to under the passenger seat..cheapest in any store near me fir cord is 50$..so I thought for 5$ fir the fuse I have terminal I could just use thick insulated wire

Tapatapatalk

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Well really I just thought it would be cool to use..and I'm only running to under the passenger seat..cheapest in any store near me fir cord is 50$..so I thought for 5$ fir the fuse I have terminal I could just use thick insulated wire

Tapatapatalk

$50?? You should be able to get like 2 gauge wire for around 1$/ft

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Audio power cable is expensive, look into welding cable. I was running 2 guage welding cable in my last truck and it worked great for 9 years. I think it was about one third the cost of audio 4 guage at the time.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Don't forget about a grommet or a cable entry bushing when routing the cable in through the firewall. Sometimes, it's just better to have the right stuff. You could use welding cable, but the jacket isn't really designed for continuous contact with fuels / oils etc. Battery cable has crosslinked insulation that is rated for high temperatures, as well as fuel / oil resistant which is a good thing, you can buy it in bulk.

Most car audio specific kits contain CCAW ( copper clad aluminum ) which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the ends are well sealed in the engine compartment area, there is no issue, as well as it is lighter and less expensive than copper. The downside is that the cable will need to be a bigger gauge vs. copper for the same draw.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget about a grommet or a cable entry bushing when routing the cable in through the firewall. Sometimes, it's just better to have the right stuff. You could use welding cable, but the jacket isn't really designed for continuous contact with fuels / oils etc. Battery cable has crosslinked insulation that is rated for high temperatures, as well as fuel / oil resistant which is a good thing, you can buy it in bulk.

Most car audio specific kits contain CCAW ( copper clad aluminum ) which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the ends are well sealed in the engine compartment area, there is no issue, as well as it is lighter and less expensive than copper. The downside is that the cable will need to be a bigger gauge vs. copper for the same draw.

So basically it'll work about 4 thick will be roughly 5 gauge regular wire? My amp will shut itself off of it doesn't get enough power so no worries to try it I guess

Tapatapatalk

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just buy the right wire. You're not doing yourself any favours by half assing it. I'm assuming the solid core wire you've got is likely meant for house wiring, so the jacketing definately won't be adequate, and you'll be putting high current through it which could lead to heat, heat leads to fire.