12 gauge amp wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What size is the fuse on the side of the amp?

Assuming 1000w at 13.4 volts it will have an amperage draw of about 75 amps which requires 8 guage wire.

But, that 1000w is probably peak, not RMS. I'm betting the RMS is a fair bit lower.

I'm betting around 400 RMS, fairly average for Sony stuff. Especially the xplode line....:rolleyes:

That would be 400w at 13.4v, which is about 29 amps which requires 14 gauge.

If you're looking at a 30 amp fuse sticking out the side of the amp....well........:)

I usually just use 4 gauge welding wire for my installs. Not too expensive, high quality copper, minimal voltage drop over the short runs in a vehicle and good to about 135 amp. More than all but the most extreme in car stereo setups require.

:)

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Technically you could use that as long as the conductor cross section is going to be big enough for the intended draw, however solid core wire is stiff. I would just buy some wire: it's not terribly expensive. You are going to require a fuse holder as well, and terminal ends, so you may as well spend an extra few bucks and buy the correct products.

Trade in the copper you have for $$ and use that to buy what you need.

Agreed.

Also, to do this safely, you would need to use a separate fuse for each individual wire as well.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What size is the fuse on the side of the amp?

Assuming 1000w at 13.4 volts it will have an amperage draw of about 75 amps which requires 8 guage wire.

But, that 1000w is probably peak, not RMS. I'm betting the RMS is a fair bit lower.

I'm betting around 400 RMS, fairly average for Sony stuff. Especially the xplode line....:rolleyes:

That would be 400w at 13.4v, which is about 29 amps which requires 14 gauge.

If you're looking at a 30 amp fuse sticking out the side of the amp....well........:)

I usually just use 4 gauge welding wire for my installs. Not too expensive, high quality copper, minimal voltage drop over the short runs in a vehicle and good to about 135 amp. More than all but the most extreme in car stereo setups require.

:)

Makes since...still just really want to use what I have.. Our maybe I'll see how much I can get and sell it

Tapatapatalk

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
i just dont get it,,you ask a question and get great answers,,then you ignore all the options,,if you do it your way,,you are asking for trouble,,hope you have full coverage,,sounds like your gonna need it,,

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As an electrician by trade I'd have to say you are an idiot if you do this. Just because you have all the ends twisted together doesn't mean the current will flow evenly through all 4 wires. Sell it for scrap. Copper is at a good price right now. Buy some welding cable or get some 6 awg stranded at your local electrical supply for like 2$ a foot without a contractor account.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Go easy gents, electrical is black magic to most young guys.

Sometimes takes a while to get it through the bone to the gray matter.....:rofl:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I hope this thread is a joke lmao

sent from my outdated S3

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I said I would have liked top use what I had...then said I would sell it...hello...just needed more than one persons opinion

Tapatapatalk

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather you go buy some jumper cables and cut them up just to be safe. Hey, they're already color coded and thick. Pep boys sells stinger cables and connectors and they are priced cheep also radio Shack has cable in the back they sell by the ft