1 ton axle swap possibilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use your D44 with 8 lug 3/4 ton outers. No reason to go one ton just to run a free rear axle.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I would advise against a 12-bolt, they really are no stronger than your current 10-bolt. Your truck being a 93 you can easily abandon the TBI system and transmission if need be, but honestly they are very simple OBD 1 trucks.

Anyway, here is my build thread when I performed my SAS. I already had a 14SF axle, used a passenger drop D44 and t-case from a 90 suburban. Mine being an 88 my transmission wasn't computer controlled. Since then I've swapped to 8-lug, NV4500 and a 454.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?945-Tech-88GMCtruck-s-Budget-Solid-Axle-Swap-Build

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
A FF 14 bolt rear is a great axle. The only drawbacks for an off road rig is that the center section hangs quite low compared to it's contemporaries.

You can get kits that allow you to cut it down and weld a plate in for more clearance, but that's a bit of over kill if you're just building an "all around" type of rig.

The big bonus of a 10.5 rear (besides the supported input pinion) is the axles shafts. Since they're "floating", if one snaps you don't loose the wheel.

I have a 10.5 ff in my k2500 and its a great axle for my use, which is towing.

They make great off road axles as is, even better with some shaving.

Your call.

But I'd use it for sure.

Even more so over a 12 bolt.

You can still put whatever axle you want under the front. 1/2 ton to one ton. Doesn't matter as long as you match the gearing. It just means the front will likely pop in hard use before the rear and you'll get the occasional tard commenting on not having a 3/4-1ton front axle to go with the rear....

Last edited:

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would advise against a 12-bolt, they really are no stronger than your current 10-bolt. Your truck being a 93 you can easily abandon the TBI system and transmission if need be, but honestly they are very simple OBD 1 trucks.

Anyway, here is my build thread when I performed my SAS. I already had a 14SF axle, used a passenger drop D44 and t-case from a 90 suburban. Mine being an 88 my transmission wasn't computer controlled. Since then I've swapped to 8-lug, NV4500 and a 454.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?945-Tech-88GMCtruck-s-Budget-Solid-Axle-Swap-Build

im going to wind up using the the 14FF and looking into the 8 lug swap. your truck is amazing its actually the one that made me officialy decide to do a SAS when i still had my 88 unfortunatly that met a end before i could even start gathering parts. did you do any write ups on the 8 lug swap or the 454? i read the the one on the NV4500

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A FF 14 bolt rear is a great axle. The only drawbacks for an off road rig is that the center section hangs quite low compared to it's contemporaries.

You can get kits that allow you to cut it down and weld a plate in for more clearance, but that's a bit of over kill if you're just building an "all around" type of rig.

The big bonus of a 10.5 rear (besides the supported input pinion) is the axles shafts. Since they're "floating", if one snaps you don't loose the wheel.

I have a 10.5 ff in my k2500 and its a great axle for my use, which is towing.

They make great off road axles as is, even better with some shaving.

Your call.

But I'd use it for sure.

Even more so over a 12 bolt.

You can still put whatever axle you want under the front. 1/2 ton to one ton. Doesn't matter as long as you match the gearing. It just means the front will likely pop in hard use before the rear and you'll get the occasional tard commenting on not having a 3/4-1ton front axle to go with the rear....

would a dana60 pretty much be the only good reliable swap for the front axle?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i though that a 700r4 was semi-controlled by the computer? if so is there any tricks to by pass it and still have it run and shift well?

no, its not. if you want lock-up, you will need a switch, no big deal.

you need to do alot of research before starting on this.

hipasschev94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive done alot of my research for sometime now with everything i have in my head of what id want to do, but i am always open to new possibilties like the 700r4. i didnt think it would have been compatable with the route i was going but now im probably going to do a good few read ups on it lol