00 CCSS K2500 "Helga"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd start one of these threads on this thing since I'm getting closer to having the bed on it.

The truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 Crew Cab Short Bed. The 5.7L and 4L80E appear to be original, but I wouldn't swear on it. It originally came from South Carolina where it was a Boss's truck for a small construction firm. The boss being the owner of the company, he took pretty good care of the old truck but it has done it's share of the work none the less. The beat up bed sides and wrinkled doors all testify to that readily.

Here she is the day we got her home:

You must be registered for see images attach

The first thing I did was stick a set of 285's on her and replace all the head lights, turn signals and marker lights on the front as well as a new park brake release and hood release handle. I had to crank the bars about four turns to get the 285's room to turn freely under there.

Minions:

Then she got a tune up soon after and man did she ever need it. The center electrodes on the plugs were burnt clear back to the base and the coil wire had been arcing to the transmission dipstick tube. It had almost burnt a hole in it!! I'm really surprised it would run at all.

I picked up a step side bed for $200 off Craigslist and have since had it painted. A few weeks ago I pulled my fender flares off the factory bed and got them mounted on the step side bed and worked on getting the emblems ready to mount as well.

They don't make good contact with the bed sides where the steps are so I've been arguing with myself over cutting them vs just pinning them back with some bolts and washers. Still am on the fence about it, but I'll get it figured one day.

I mount my trailer connector plugs in my bumpers. I just like them there. They are safe from hanging up on things in the fields and woods and I think it gives them a clean look.

And most recently, I bought a set of these for her:

I'm hoping to get the 285's moved to them soon and get them on. I'm trying to get up with a guy to buy a 14FF 10.5 from a 02 Silverado to get the FF axle and disc brakes as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm trying to get up with a guy to buy a 14FF 10.5 from a 02 Silverado to get the FF axle and disc brakes as well.

You don't already have a 14-bolt? I thought the semi-floating axles were 6-lug trucks?

I do beleive you'll need to move spring pads and possibly shock mounts to use the GMT-800 axle. That would be a great way to get discs, Though. With some work, you can also run the GMT-800 front brakes. That involves running modified GMT-800 spindles. I'd love to have those dual piston calipers....... they've got to be better, although that wouldn't change the ABS that I hate.

I'd skip the step side, as I think a short box is enough of a pain as it is. I can't see myself going for a short and narrow box! You could have just bought a Ford Explorer Sport-trac :)

Does your cleaning crew also rotate the tires and top of the fluids?:Big Laugh:

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has the 8 lug 9.5 14sf under it. While it's strong enough to do what I'll do with it, I'm getting a good deal on this axle and the extra capacity and rear discs will be nice.

As for the spring plates, they are 2" wider but the shock mounts are the same width according to measurements the guy sent me and what I've found online.

I've always wanted a crew cab step side truck. I just think it'll be neat. I wanted to do a 73-91 CC with a long bed step side on it, but never could find a truck in good enough shape around here. They are all rust buckets.

The kids do help quite a bit. They were there under hood helping swap the cam in my K5 last year.

Last edited:

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. We've always called the Suburban Bertha. After we got the truck home, the oldest and I were cleaning the interior up some and she asked me what we were going to call it. Helga just popped into my mind, I don't really know why but it's stuck now too.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I sold my set of wheels yesterday. I'm wanting something I can find get a matching spare for so I can do a 5 tire rotation. I've come across the Ultra Crusher 195's that I like:

You must be registered for see images

I'm also liking the ProComp 8101's:

Any other suggestions on similar rims? These have between a 3250lb and a 3420lb load rating and a 10mm offset. That should put them on about where the stock wheels are.

I'm debating about places to mount the spare. I'd like a rear mounted carrier but if I put a ball in the bed, that's out of the question. If I liked doing body work more, I'd put a notch in the side and put the spare behind the cab on the bed side like the original step side beds did, but the bed is already painted and I HATE body work.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
several on here are partial to the PY0 wheels from the newer body style trucks, but its all in preference, watching for progress as well, I will have a CCSB one of these days

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Awesome ive always thight about putting a SS on a CC glad to see somone do it finally!!