“Evil Rotten Dirty *****” 94’ k1500 Wiring Nightmare...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeKe2369

Reaction score
Hey Fellas
Sorta kinda new here, got most of my info from a different site and a very knowledgeable man, but with last issue I was referred to you all for expertise...
So I’ll fill ya in ...
on 3rd tranny in a year , boyfriend is a POS and refuses to work on my truck bc he bought it for me but after I made it pretty sweet looking he got jealous ... anyway so I’ve been on my own with everything.
so I’ve installed audio system , upgraded the alternator to a high output and upgraded my charging system. I have completely rewired my whole dash and changed out the cluster and installed all LEDs . Added front and rear light bars along with RGB lights in the cab and Pink Rock lights underneath. Changed out my taillights to LEDs and upgraded the headlights to LEDs also .
Initiated contact myself for tranny rebuild and was included in on the build so I understood it. And bc the boyfriend would not help I ATTEMPTED install myself and was partially successful. I also added a NRG SS Hub and Pink Neo-Chrome Quick Release and Vertex 14in Deep Pink and Black Steering Wheel. Along with that install I replaced the turn signal switch and and high beam switch. Then the brake light switch . Which leads me to the problem . I have no taillights or brake lights . I have turn signals and hazards but not the other. Fuses are good I already replaced the switches on the dash and I have power all the way back to the big inning up the harness. So I undid all the mess under there are wired color to color . But still nothing . So what gives ? Where do I go from there ? Also I have no windshield wipers ... please help

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's always so 50/50 on whether the "I'm a girl that likes trucks" play will work or backfire. :D

Yes, please ditch the yellow font. Default is fine..

I'm with Suburban5, check the ground wire at the rear of the frame, driver's side, right near the connection between the harness along the frame rail and the rear lighting harness. This is often damaged. IF you have a trailer harness, disconnect it for troubleshooting purposes. Lots of problems come from these, whether they're tapped in with hacks (twisted, taped, quick-connects, etc.) or even the pro-looking teed-in style where they click in right between the connectors.

The wipers are likely a bad ground in the engine compartment, or simply the very-common failed solder joints on the circuit board in the motor. Very easy to fix or replace. If you or anyone you know can do very basic electronics soldering you can just re-touch the joints where the harness socket attaches to the circuit board; it's cake. Or you can get a Chinese crap replacement board cheap.

And get a new boyfriend. Complaining that the current one sucks...looks bad on both of y'all. If he sucks, he should be history. :D

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tail light and brake light issue sounds like a bad ground. Separate wires carry the current from the front, and if the front parking lights work, you either have multiple problems in the rear wiring (less likely) or you have a single ground issue.

Reflow the solder on the wiper motor board. I need to do the same on my truck.

And get a new boyfriend. Complaining that the current one sucks...looks bad on both of y'all. If he sucks, he should be history.
If he's just being a pain in the butt, focus on what you do like about him. Ask yourself if he adds value to the relationship. Don't stick with him for the man he could be, be with him for the man he is or leave.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Keke, welcome to the forum. Im glade you made it here, there is a ton of knowledge here. About the only other thing I can add to the answers you already got about your truck, is, you may want to look into doing the big 3 upgrade. This wont solve your lighting issues, but will make you charging system work a lot better. When I did mine, I added 2 more ground wires. One to the truck cab, and one from the alternator case, back to the battery. If your not sure what the big 3 upgrade is, just youtube it. Also you said the new tail lights are LED, so that may be part of the problem. Try your old light circuit boards with the old bulds, and see if they work. Is so, then you know the issue is the LEDs. If the old ones dont work, then its a wiring issue, or switch issue, or some where else. Its a process of elimination. As for the boy friend thing, I agree with everyone else. Life is to short. If, that is really you in the profile pic, and you still look like that, then you are very beautiful, and you can get any man you really want. Why put up with so A hole that doesn't treat you rite. Even if that is not your pic,it doesnt matter, life is to short to put up with an A hole as a spouse.

KeKe2369

Reaction score
First, turn off the big yellow font, it hurts to read....
Second, get a better boyfriend.
Third, check the bulbs.
Hey Keke, welcome to the forum. Im glade you made it here, there is a ton of knowledge here. About the only other thing I can add to the answers you already got about your truck, is, you may want to look into doing the big 3 upgrade. This wont solve your lighting issues, but will make you charging system work a lot better. When I did mine, I added 2 more ground wires. One to the truck cab, and one from the alternator case, back to the battery. If your not sure what the big 3 upgrade is, just youtube it. Also you said the new tail lights are LED, so that may be part of the problem. Try your old light circuit boards with the old bulds, and see if they work. Is so, then you know the issue is the LEDs. If the old ones dont work, then its a wiring issue, or switch issue, or some where else. Its a process of elimination. As for the boy friend thing, I agree with everyone else. Life is to short. If, that is really you in the profile pic, and you still look like that, then you are very beautiful, and you can get any man you really want. Why put up with so A hole that doesn't treat you rite. Even if that is not your pic,it doesnt matter, life is to short to put up with an A hole as a spouse.
Hey Kennythewelder.... First and foremost... that IS ME... and yes I do still look like that... NEXT... last night I re-wired the taillights, about 3ft back towards the front I put in all new wire back to the harnesses... I have Brake, Taillights, and right turn signal... still no 3rd brake light or cargo light and somehow lost my license plate light... now having trouble with actually READING the schematic for that... I think the brown wire connects to all of the brown wires and then I splice into that and then ground that short wire ... and then my left turn signal is the light green wire, but that wire coming from the front of the truck back to it is fried... replacing now and I think that one goes to both of the other light green . Also still no backup lights I’ve never had them ,.. but agin I am in the process of learning all of this clearly... AND I DID do the Big 3 upgrade... even made the wires for them my own damn self... as for the boyfriend , soon as I finish this IM OUTTIE...

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
light green at the rear should be the reverse circuit. Left is yellow, right is DARK green. brown is park lights, which also feeds the license plate lights. Black and/or white are grounds. This is the same on every GMT400 I've ever seen.