Woody's Black Z71 pic history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, it doesn't show MPG. Mine has to be wired to a keyed hot, ground, and 0-5v ECM input (I used Pin B16). All it does is give you an accurate AF reading from 8.5-19:1. Because a factory o2 sensor is only accurate right around 14.7:1. Anything leaner or richer and it swings all over the place.

But on that note...I took the truck for a 180mi road trip yesterday and got 14.9mpg. I can deal with that. I also picked up a craigslist tonneau cover for $65. It's canvas and not vinyl like I was expecting, but it's in pretty good shape and CHEAP. I'll get a pic.

Nice deal on the cover - I have been looking for one local to throw on mine, still not finding anything. Can't wait to see it installed on your truck.
MPG looking better too, Thanksgiving I took mine for a 140mile round trip and got 20mpg. I was pretty shocked, since my car gets anywhere from 23-35mpg.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got an exhaust video: http://youtu.be/5lhR1xgpq4I

I was hoping for 12city/20hwy with this build but it's not gonna make it I dont think. If I took out the stop & go and hill climbing and it was only straight highway it might do 17...but that's probably about all it has in it. I thought the OD was the same on the 4L60E and NV4500, but it seems to turn more revs at 65 than it did.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks good man, but I'm not surprised. I remember when you first got the Camaro, and Beretta #2 from Bstuff years and years ago when I had my 89 GT. Keep up the good work.

It just dawned on me who you are! You had an 89-90 GT that was maroon right? And then you went off in to the Mustang world...I thought you were a goner. haha Glad to see you back in a Chevy.

I looked up the gear ratios and the NV4500 OD is 0.73:1 vs .69 for the 4L60E, so that explains why it seemed a little higher at cruise...because it is! I just got my 194 LEDs in the mail today and I'm going to swap them in my cluster and see how it looks. My wideband gauge puts the stock gauges to shame.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the cheap LEDs I got sucked, so I'm going to swap them out with some better quality ones. Some light up yellow, some blue and they are all supposed to be cool white. Since I was playing with the cluster I made a block off plate where the PRND321 was. I made a "Chevrolet" and a "Chevrolet Z71" to try out. I still have a few of these around if anyone wants one...they fit perfect in the PRND spot but you could use them anywhere. I'm also gonna make it light up better when I swap out the LEDs again.

Here's a pic of the cheapo craigslist tonneau. I've been leaving it off though, because the snap on with the bars is a pain in the ass when you actually want to use your truck as a truck.

I took off the skidplate and painted it black with a bare aluminum Z71 logo. Cut myself a sticker, sprayed it and then peeled the sticker off. It didnt come out great, but it is my beater. haha Unfortunately you can't really see it when it's installed. It would probably look cool with someone who has a body lift though.

Thinking about either painting the tailgate plate black or removing it altogether. I'll probably try some fishing line to remove it and see how well the paint underneath survives. If it's not good I can paint it black and throw it back on. If the paint is good I'll be making a "Chevrolet" sticker that matches the PRND plate logo type and in the same silver as the "Z71" on the bed sides.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Love the "chevrolet z71" in the gear spot. No one looks at what gear they are shifting into after a year of driving any way. Very cool idea. I dont think the skid plate looks bad at all.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I swapped from auto to 5spd so it looked stupid sitting there. Should look cool when I get it to light up nice.

Brickyard

Reaction score
The PRND - Chevy swap looks good.

Yup, I used to have that 89 GT, then a 97 Mustang, then my 99 Z/28, then when that spontaneously combusted on me, I went to a 96
Mustang GT vert, and now I'm back in a GM yet again. I've been busy lol

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PRND - Chevy swap looks good.

Yup, I used to have that 89 GT, then a 97 Mustang, then my 99 Z/28, then when that spontaneously combusted on me, I went to a 96
Mustang GT vert, and now I'm back in a GM yet again. I've been busy lol

At least you dumped the fords. haha I built my new Beretta in '09 when my black 95Z rotted out and bought the truck in '09 also. I also bought a house in 2010 so that keeps me busy.

I spent New Year's in NC and it makes me hate coming back to NY. I was about 0F this morning and the truck stalled twice on me while cold. Once with the clutch in coming to a stop sign and once taking off from a stop sign in 2nd. So I need to do some more cold weather tuning. I dont think a simple coolant temp modifier change will do it though...because the AFR was pretty rich and spikes lean when the throttle opens. Probably cold fuel falling out of the air and sticking to the cold intake manifold. I'm going to look and see if there is an AE temp modifier. A week or so ago I checked the truck when the engine was hot and it was about 30F out...and the intake manifold was pretty warm to the touch...not super hot, but the the throttle body was super cold. It even had some light condensation on it. I'm wondering if my aftermarket intake was a stupid move since it does have the coolant passage underneath the TBI like the stock intake does.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a MAT to throw in the intake runner and hopefully sort out the cold weather driveability. I also blacked out the tailgate and put some new tires on...so now I'm looking for a place to mount my spare. I'm a dumbass and welded up my exhaust back when I had no spare and now the tailpipe is in the way of mounting it under the bed. I've seen hitch mounts for the spare that look kinda cool, but I wonder if they'd be too much of a pain in the ass when you're getting in to the bed since they block the tailgate. A swinging one might work though.

You must be registered for see images attach

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Considered a rear bumper from TAG? It has an optional tire mount that swings out of the way so you can let the tailgate down.