Wiper/headlight/brake light, turn signal issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna post again. Probably won’t be seen. Probably won’t be replied to. Probably won’t be liked. But I need a direction. 1997 Chevy K2500. Turn on the headlight switch and no headlights, but I do have running lamps and turn signals and marker lights. When I hit the high beam switch, nothing changes and the driving lamp relay at the footwell goes bonkers and clicks and clanks and buzzes terribly. Tried changing it no better. The high beam light indicator stays on constantly. Sometimes the wipers come on when hitting high/low beam also. Any ideas? I replaced engine harness as well as the headlight harness. Any ideas will help as I’m trying to get it going soon for winter and my little Mazda 3 is giving steering issues. So any help is appreciated, if this gets seen.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check all your grounds... should one on each fender towards the front near the battery and headlights.

When I was putting my 93 back together I had all sorts of weird headlight, directional and wiper issues that didnt make sense. I had not hooked up the ground on the left fender. Once I did that all my directional wiper issues disappeared.

Then I went ground crazy... added new grounds from engine block to body and from body to frame.

My 1999 GMT800 was the same thing... crazy flashing dash lights, check engine lights... I added a single 14 gauge wire ground from the alternator mounting bolt to the cab and everything went back to normal.

you cannot go wrong adding new grounds to clean metal or re doing existing grounds

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try just asking a question or just asking for help. If you don't need it....The high beams and wiper issue means most likely the combination switch ( turn, wiper, high beam) may have failed. Headlights don't turn on, test headlight switch, power to headlight plugs, ground at headlights. Highbeam relay going mental, could be short downstream. Headlight switch does have internal Circuit Breaker.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Before going down the path of failed multifunction switch (it happens but not often) absolutely, without question, go over all your engine compartment grounds. This is the far more likely suspect with the combination of failures you have.

Richard

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try just asking a question or just asking for help. If you don't need it....The high beams and wiper issue means most likely the combination switch ( turn, wiper, high beam) may have failed. Headlights don't turn on, test headlight switch, power to headlight plugs, ground at headlights. Highbeam relay going mental, could be short downstream. Headlight switch does have internal Circuit Breaker.
I have. Twice. That’s why I posted again. Fortunately, I actually got answers this time. Luckily.

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before going down the path of failed multifunction switch (it happens but not often) absolutely, without question, go over all your engine compartment grounds. This is the far more likely suspect with the combination of failures you have.

Richard
Will do. I believe all grounds are indeed hooked up but they could have been damaged during the harness installation possibly

dj_97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what this goes to? Coming from under main harness going into the cab. Also has one identical coming from fuse box

Attachments

• BCEDD264-7726-4C48-B016-AE70E5B46423.jpeg
    BCEDD264-7726-4C48-B016-AE70E5B46423.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7