White smoke on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a1989classic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have a 89 k1500 5.7, when I bought it I put about a quarter of seafoam into the gas tank and ran almost all the gas back up, then filled it to about a quarter/half tank. That was about 3 weeks or so ago.

I've noticed that everytime I start it up recently the exhaust puffs white smoke for the first 5-7 seconds then it goes away. Not sure if coolant is leaking into the head gasket? Any way to tell?

Thanks again

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 89 k1500 5.7,

I put about a quarter of seafoam into the gas tank
What is a "quarter" of Seafoam?

everytime I start it up recently the exhaust puffs white smoke for the first 5-7 seconds then it goes away. Not sure if coolant is leaking into the head gasket?
Is the coolant level dropping?

"White" smoke can be multiple things--coolant in the cylinder (Look for very clean spark plugs) or even oil burning, although generally oil smoke is bluish.

Consider getting a radiator pressure tester from the loaner-tool program at a local parts store, pressurize the cooling system with the spark plugs OUT, and then after an hour or more with pressure on the system, crank the engine. See if coolant sprays out of one or more plug holes. Then pull the oil pan drain plug--see if there's coolant settled-out of the oil.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
It is normal for an engine to send out a bit of steam out the tailpipe @ cold start.

You may be seeing it because you are looking for it now and weren't before.

Like Shurkey said oil smoke is generally blueish. That could be valve stem seals on the exhaust side.

If you pull the spark plugs and examine them closely if one is much cleaner than the others, that could be coolant. If one is wet and oily likely it's valve stem seals.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is outside air temp when starting? Hot exhaust can cause condensation steam ( white ish ) exciting tailpipe. Sweet smell = coolant in exhaust. As above said to confirm.