where do these emissions parts go (98 hoe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently bought a 98 tahoe and I am constantly getting a code P0440. Basically its the stupid emissions system detecting a leak somewhere. I bought a few replacement parts that Amazon claimed fit my truck but I cannot for the life of me find the location of one of the parts. Below is a link to the part. Can someone tell me where I can find this part on my truck? Is there anything located on top of the fuel tank?

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-640-Vapor-Canister-Purge/dp/B000C9L9Y0/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

I also bought the following part just because but it appears that it is only half of the entire assembly.I didnt buy the actual canister but I may consider it if the code doesnt go away.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSGH5S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a side note, can a fuel pump and fuel pump sending unit from a 94 TBI Blazer Sport (350TBI) be used in a 98 tahoe (350 Vortec)? I only ask because my 94 is now being parted out and I just put a new tank, pump and sending unit in it last year. I would like to drop the tank on my 98 and replace the seal for the tank just in case that is an area that is causing the check engine light. I dont mind dropping it but I would like to put a new pump and sending unit in it while it is out. Plus, my fuel level gauge has the dreaded shakes.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the pump and sending unit no they can not be swapped.

The first item you listed goes here (finger pointing with blue plug)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I will tackle that on Saturday when I do the CAI kit I bought. I'm debating if I should buy a new canister or not. its $90 from Amazon and its an AcDelco unit.

For some reason ALL my GM vehicles get that stupid check engine light for a EVAP leak. I'm sick of it already. I just bought my wife an 03 Trailblazer and not 24 hours after I bought it the light came on for a EVAP leak!!! I couldnt even get a sticker for it. Luckily I found an extended GM service recall on the gas tank and I was able to have the entire tank and sending unit replaced for free! I was within 2000 miles of going over the warranties mileage limit!
Here I am now with a 2 week old Tahoe and the friggen light is on!! Im a diehard GM guy but this EVAP BS is really pissing me off. Its seems like almost every GM vehicle suffers from it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to throw parts at it, take it to a place that can do a smoke test on the system.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is noting near the tank as far as sensors that are related to the emissions system right? if so then I need to know prior to dropping the tank to inspect the tank seal. I only want to drop the tank once.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't want to throw parts at it, take it to a place that can do a smoke test on the system.

I did think of doing that but I just cant afford to be without a vehicle. I am getting a smell of fuel from the truck when I shut it off and get out. It seems to be stronger in the rear of the truck which leads me to believe that something is leaking in the tank area. That is why I asked if there is any sensors above the tank that would trigger the engine light if there was a leak detected.

I need to fix the bouncing gas gauge needle anyway and that requires dropping the tank to make sure the wiring is good.