Whats everybodies normal operating temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Is it bad if it runs cooler? I have a Hypertech 160 degree Thermostat and my truck never gets even close to 200

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Is it bad if it runs cooler? I have a Hypertech 160 degree Thermostat and my truck never gets even close to 200

Yeah, thats what I thought. So im going to start with a new thermostat and if that doesnt change how warm its running by the gauge ill swap the gauge and see if the gauge is bad.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm couple weeks ago I changed out my gauge sensor(by headers) with a cheapo generic one(since the connector is a retarted design...) The gauge went from reading ~200 to 220. It does not hurt to replace a thermostat, however I would get another method to read the temp besides just the factory DUMMY gauge. I assume the sensor is just dialed in a little off, and basically jsut watch it to see that the engine is warming up, and that it doesnt spike up.

No engine runs a a constant 200-210*. if they did the fan would have to run nearly all the time, and something more precise than a thermostat would be needed. If factory engine temp gauges were accurate people would panic their vehicle was over heating every time they stopped, or think it was running way to cold whenever they are on the highway. My CBR that redlines at 16k, runs anywhere from 170F to 220F(fan kicks on), fully warmed up, it just depends on the engine.

EDIT.
Theoretically an internal combustion engine will operate more efficiently the higher the temperatures, however when you add in expansion and contraction of the engine, air density, fuel detonation, oil, coolant boiling point, etc, there is a limit to how hot you want to run it.

Last edited:

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you have an over sized radiator it will take more time to warm the motor up, in cold weather....i have a 454 radiator 36" upgraded from the original 27" core ..in the winter i have to block part of the radiator to get it up to temp...running at 160 degrees with a 195 thermastat

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 160tstat, oversized rad and a dual 4000CFM e-fan set up. With one fan running I typically run all day at 160ish. With both on I don't get much higher than 110-120ish. Guess the fans work. I gotta put a t-stat switch on one fan.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My temps have always been between 130 and 195. Last year my trucks temp guage would climb to 3/4 the way up then drop back down to about 180ish. I replaced the thermostat with a stock 195 degree. Once the guage hits 195 it drops back to 130 or so then climbs back up. Is this normal? it has always done this.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats kinda weird......my trucks have never done that......i have a 89 and a 95.......so im not sure