Weird Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I've been having trouble for a while with a leak that has me stumped as to where it is coming from. It only happens if it is outside and it rains for a while, hard rain. After a while it will leave quite a puddle of water in my floormat.

It comes from where the heater is, seems to come out of this hole in the bottom, as shown here.

You must be registered for see images

And I ended up putting a towel under where it leaks every time it rains. This is just to give you a visual of where it leaks.

You must be registered for see images

I've looked for areas where water could be coming in....I can't find anything so its got me stumped. Any ideas?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of the drain hoses is off/broken/plugged in the cowl firewall area. Pull off the cowl (It's fairly easy, remove wiper arms; remove cowl to hood seal; remove 4 or 5 screws holding the 3 piece cowl on and it will lift off) and see if you can tell where it is at. It's a fairly common issue on several vehicles, but that will solve your problem! Easy fix!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Ok, cool. Thanks for the answer. Honestly I never thought if that. I will have to give it a look today after school.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
there is a drain in the bottom of your blower (the ducting) as well that lets water drip out, from the a/c this could also be plugged. you have to take out the blower motor to get to it gut its pretty easy

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
After I use the AC though the water drips fine from it. I can see it if I shut the truck off in a concrete driveway.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I never did find the hose. I took off the cowl, but the holes are so small I can't see anything that would make the leak.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also these truck's have a plastic insert that snap's in to the cowl, it is the fresh air intake for your HVAC system, these commonly leak on these truck's. The fix is as follow's, remove the black plastic wiper cowl and on the passenger side top of the cowl is a small panel that is seam sealed on, directly underneath that panel is the fresh air intake duct, the original seal dries out and leak's over time. Next use a heat gun to loosen the seam sealer that hold's on the sheet metal panel, pry it up and pull it off, try not to bend it up much because you need to reintall it later. Ok now you should have the panel off now you can see plastic insert that I mentioned in the begining, You need to silicone all the way around the plastic insert to seal out the water that would normally run out the water drains at the ends of the cowl. Use the silicone religiously to seal it up, and then the reinstall the sheet metal panel with either seam sealer or silicone, then reinstall your black plastic cowl panel and wiper arm's/blades and you are done. I have seen these leak a lot of times. Good luck and I hope this will help you out.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Also these truck's have a plastic insert that snap's in to the cowl, it is the fresh air intake for your HVAC system, these commonly leak on these truck's. The fix is as follow's, remove the black plastic wiper cowl and on the passenger side top of the cowl is a small panel that is seam sealed on, directly underneath that panel is the fresh air intake duct, the original seal dries out and leak's over time. Next use a heat gun to loosen the seam sealer that hold's on the sheet metal panel, pry it up and pull it off, try not to bend it up much because you need to reintall it later. Ok now you should have the panel off now you can see plastic insert that I mentioned in the begining, You need to silicone all the way around the plastic insert to seal out the water that would normally run out the water drains at the ends of the cowl. Use the silicone religiously to seal it up, and then the reinstall the sheet metal panel with either seam sealer or silicone, then reinstall your black plastic cowl panel and wiper arm's/blades and you are done. I have seen these leak a lot of times. Good luck and I hope this will help you out.

Awesoem Write-up, I will have to see if I can give this a try. Thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975