Vapor/Moisture Barrier Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drag sgt

Reaction score
I'm in the process of reconditioning a few things that the previous owner neglected or broke, and I found out over the weekend that my front passenger door has no moisture/vapor barrier. I tried searching here and online but couldn't find anything--even a part number--on places like LMCtruck, RockAuto, and GMPartsDirect.

Does anybody happen to have a resource with a part number, or is this one of those "hope to get lucky at a parts yard" types of pieces?

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a GMT 400 you can make your own from plastic sheeting. On some newer vehicles it is not always safe to do this but you can on your truck.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reconditioning a few things that the previous owner neglected or broke, and I found out over the weekend that my front passenger door has no moisture/vapor barrier. I tried searching here and online but couldn't find anything--even a part number--on places like LMCtruck, RockAuto, and GMPartsDirect.

Does anybody happen to have a resource with a part number, or is this one of those "hope to get lucky at a parts yard" types of pieces?
Thick Visqueen and buytl tape.
Both are cheap enough that you can make your own and it is pretty easy.
Clean the old crud off of the door.
If it is the factory goo.
Kerosene or Deisal will disolve it.
If is a dried out mess, cook it with a map gas torch just untill it gives up and wipe it off with a scotchbrite pad.
Clean it all with acetone or alcohol or whatever you have.
Take your sheet of visqueen and hang it on the door.
Cut it extra big and use a couple of magnets to hold the top edge of it in place.
Get a Sharpie and trace your pattern onto the visqueen keeping everything just a little oversize so you can trim it with a razor blade later.
When you are satisfied with your pattern, make a couple of "witness marks" on the pattern and the door so you can line it back up in the same spot again.
Roll your new plastic into a tube with about the top 5 inches of it hanging loose and rest held in place with masking tape.
Lay the buytl tape all the way across the top of the door and slightly pull it to make the radious.
Dont cut it.
And dont have greasy dirty hands either.
Line up your witness marks, Take a deep breath.
And nail it.
The tape will be hanging off of its peel off backing so you just unroll your plastic and place it where you need it and the peel off the tape as you go.
This lets you control the process and lets you pull you plastic pattern back to flat when you have to stop to seal up another opening.
Unroll it to the bottom, cut the excess with a razor.
Done.
The reason for doing this is that you get flat and complete contact with the tape with no gaps and no adhesion problems.
And gaps and wrinkles stops bonding.
And let in air.
Air dries it all out and lets in moisture.
It may seem like an overkill process but it really isnt.
Its a process designed to keep you from never having to do it again.