ummm..is this my transmission leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, the drop hanging from the starter, looks like coolant. The easiest way to know for sure, is to get a radiator pressure tester and test the system. You can rent one from Autozone. You have to buy it, but when you bring it back, they give you a full refund. Also the test must be done when the engine is cold. You don't want to open a hot radiator. It will be under pressure when it is hot, but not when it is cold. here is a video on testing the system.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the factory heater hose quick disconnect at the intake manifold. It's probably cracked, pretty common and likely to break off when trying to remove. Most part stores sell a special tool to remove the broken end from the manifold.

94Chevyshorty

Reaction score
My guess is it could be your rear main seal leaking from where the motor and trans marry, theres usually a vent hole at the bottom of the flywheel casing and sometimes rear main seal oil leaks out of it. as for the transmission pan, i would say it could be the pan gasket or it could be leaking from the fill tube on the drivers side of the transmission, ive seen them pop out a little bit.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
If you read the rest of the thread, the fluid is green. So it's more than likely a coolant leak

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean the engine off, drive, see if you can pinpoint the leak. Or use a tester, as stated above. Could be a simple hose clamp, could be something more serious.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I had this same leak style and thought it was my trans, turns out my intake gasket let loose and was pissing coolant all over the back of the engine and down the transmission, I run Dex-Cool and though it was ATF cause it looked red.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I've got a similar leak but mine is 100% oil. I've had valve cover gaskets sitting in the shop for well over a year now and just haven't gotten off my ass to put them on lol

takt

Reaction score
Thanks been looking dosent seems to be leaking severaly now.I did notice my overflow isn't connected but I doubt it's it.
. I will try to clean it up and get a better look tomorrow. I'll let you guys know. Thanks again.