Trouble starting 1997 GMC Seirra 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucian

Reaction score
Yesterday after I got off work when I went to start my truck I had some issues. I can put the key in turn forward and engage the starter but I know the fuel pump isn't running. The funny thing is I can start the truck just fine with my remote start. The fuel pump kicks on and primes like normal then it starts right up. The remote start has a safety kill switch, which whenever the brake is pressed or put in gear it kills the engine if the key is not in the on position. Which after starting with the remote start I try that but it doesn't work. I'm not 100% sure if the dashboard lights came on or not (truck is stuck at work) I do know I had power to the radio and auxiliary things like wipers and power windows. So everything works with the remote start, besides when I put the key in the on position. I don't believe my model year has a chipped key or theft systems that would be limiting to only run with the remote start. Only thing I can think of is the ignition switch, but I don't wanna spend $200 on one without knowing for sure if that's the problem. Any insight or suggestions is greatly appreciated for my current dilemma.

Edit: I just went up to look at a few more things and my dash lights are not turning on with the key. When I turn the key to the on position it has power to all the same places as if I turned the key backwards.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The security system doesn't stop the dash lights so that shouldn't effect it. Have you checked the fuses in both fuse boxes? On our truck the power windows won't work in any position but on. I'm just throwing out thoughts here.