Transmission Problem (Need help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm usually one who does all of my own diagnosing and work on my trucks, however I could use a bit of help on my 96 K2500 5.7/ 4l80e. The fluid in the transmission is red and smells fine, I change the filter and fluid to keep it as healthy as possible. However sometimes it's been having an issue with engaging into gear, ususally It takes a few seconds or a tap of the throttle (especially when cold). Now, sometimes when stopping somewhat fast the transmission acts like it's in neutral and I can even let off the brakes at a stoplight sometimes until I give it a tap of the throttle or changing gears also seems to reengage it. It doesn't slip when driving, but the truck has mid 200k miles and not sure if it's original so I'd like some technical opinions on I'd it's torque converter, trans clutches, or possible solenoids? And if it is the transmission, how much does a used one usually go for, or rebuild price.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a scanner and check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor), and VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) inputs before tearing into it.