Transmission fluid all over front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Vortec 5700 Z71 4WD. I decided to take a look under my truck to see what things my truck needed. Other than a melting radiator hose, I noticed that there was transmission fluid all over my front end.

You must be registered for see images attach

I looked at my transmission further back and it seems fine. I did empty and fill the transfer case last summer so I don't know if it's coming from there or if it's coming from my trans cooler lines. It's a lot more greasy than in the pictures so finding where the leak is tough and I don't know where to start. Wondering if anyone has had this problem before.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's not obvious, clean it up. Go to the car wash and spay off all that grunge so you can what's leaking. Use a white paper towel, color shows better. Is transmission or power steering?
Check your oil cooler lines also , it's easier now versus they blow out at 65 mph.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is leaking that much and you think the leak is transmission fluid, how low is the fluid? Have you been adding? Has to be leaking at cooler connections or the line itself could be rubbed through some where. If is a rubbed line, that should leak A LOT.

Last edited:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is leaking that much and you think the leak is transmission fluid, how low is the fluid? Have you been adding? Has to be leaking at cooler connections or the line itself could be rubbed through some where. If is a rubbed line, that should leak A LOT.
I haven't added any fluid and the truck had been running fine for about a year. I looked at the lines and they don't seemed to have been rubbed through. That's what I thought was weird.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I haven't added any fluid and the truck had been running fine for about a year. I looked at the lines and they don't seemed to have been rubbed through. That's what I thought was weird.
A thorough cleaning is what is next and then start it up/drive it and inspect.