Traction aid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've been doing some reading, and thats a dangerous thing....I know, but I've been throwing around the idea of getting some traction bars for my truck. I don't really want a slapper, and I don't see a frame mounted traction bar working as a cheap fix either. I'm guessing my options will be something along the lines of a cal-trac or a VAS traction bar which I'm fine with. Its just not financially in the cards right now, but I have been doing some reading on clamping the front of the leaf springs. It seems there is mixed reviews on it, but I'm willing to try just about anything once so there's that. My big question is by doing so am I going to create a stress point and break leaf springs by doing so? I am not into installing an issue so I figured I'd see what you guys think on it

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you weld? You can make your own with DOM tubing, flat plate and hiem joints. Cal-trac bars are nice, I’ve used them on a s10, I’ve also used really long pro comp traction bars on my old diesel and they worked miracles.

These would work just fine for what you need…

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you weld? You can make your own with DOM tubing, flat plate and hiem joints. Cal-trac bars are nice, I’ve used them on a s10, I’ve also used really long pro comp traction bars on my old diesel and they worked miracles.

These would work just fine for what you need…
Those would work fantastic....I can absolutely weld, but I moved about a year ago and I'm still in a rental with no shop. So it's a good option long term, but I'm looking for a quick short term fix for the time being.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axle under the leaf spring always has the tendacy to wrap on hard acceleration. Axle above not so much.
I was at a drag strip where a full size truck had a set of 3" lift springs and an axle flip kit installed. Even with 500+ hp there was very little leaf oscillation.

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've considered doing a flip kit, but I really don't want to c-notch my frame honestly. I would never achieve the drop I have without so I'm stuck spring over sadly.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kit costs almost as much as Caltracs. No experience with the leaf clamps, but I know they were used back in the day. You can always remove them if it doesn't work.

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I've been researching on and off all day I'm gonna attempt to clamp the leaf springs. It looks as though its just on the front of the leaf spring clamp the overload to the spring pack. It makes sense that it would help prevent axle wrap or wheel hop...I'll get it done after work today and report back in a few days on whether I think it was worth the trouble or not

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That kit costs almost as much as Caltracs. No experience with the leaf clamps, but I know they were used back in the day. You can always remove them if it doesn't work.
Yeah but the average Joe isn’t going to adjust the cal-tracs and add pre load on a street vehicle or remove the front bushing and replace it with the solid bushing. The Caltrac bars are awesome for the track.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

BCChevyZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clamped the leaf springs...will test it out next week see if it really made any difference but it did drop the back some...I'm digging the stance
You must be registered for see images attach